Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why there are collisions?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
thburn
2093 Views, 5 Replies

Why there are collisions?

Hi,

I tried to setup a toolpath but got some trouble with collisions.
I just wanted to make the tool follow a circle (I don't created any body).

For this toolpath I need a lead out which just leaves the circle tangentially for 10mm.

1st problem: I cannot set the 'Lead-Out sweep angle' less than 5 deg. But since I want to leave the circle tangentially I need 'Lead-Out sweep angle' to be 0 (zero)

2nd problem: I need a 'Linear Lead-Out distance' of 10mm or more. But I only can enter up to 4mm.

In both cases I get an error message saying:

Warning: A contour was not machined because the given lead parameters would cause a collision!

Warning: No passes to link.

Generation completed with 2 warning(s) in 203.4ms.

Warning: Empty toolpath.

Why I get this error message? I really wonder where there is a collision since I don't have any body to collide against.

It would be really great if we could SEE where the collision happens - otherwise we are left in the dark to find the reason.

In this screencast you can see what I tried:

And attached is the F3D-file.

Thanks for any help...
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ivan.stanojevic
in reply to: thburn

If you extrude your sketch and select the same contour it will work.

After that you can hide the solid body.

I don't understand why do you want to do it without a solid body.

aaaaaaaa.png

Ivan Stanojevic

Message 3 of 6
thburn
in reply to: ivan.stanojevic

@ivan.stanojevic: thanks, I just need it for my drag knife. So I just need the path - Anyway I will try your proposal.

Message 4 of 6
daniel_lyall

If you do a search of this part of the forum A person a few weeks ago said how he got it to work sort off

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 6
Steinwerks
in reply to: daniel_lyall

@daniel_lyall wrote:

If you do a search of this part of the forum A person a few weeks ago said how he got it to work sort off

This one?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/computer-aided-machining-cam/leadin-for-circle-not-working/m-p/688217...

@thburn Why not continue the previous thread? I realized after I posted that that one was started by you as well and is addressing much of the same topics.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 6 of 6
Steinwerks

Also you're cutting on the wrong side of the contour to allow for a simple straight line tangential lead out:

Wrong Side.JPG

This happens when you're using a sketch because the CAM can't guess what you're trying to do, it's just a 2D line. Reverse that arrow (change the cutting side) by clicking it and you can set the angle to zero and have a 10mm linear lead out no problem:

Corrected Cut Side.JPG

Edit: think of it this way. At 4mm and a 5 degree sweep you clear the inside of the circle, which in this case is the cutting path also. Reduce the angle or extend the linear lead, and the entry runs over the toolpath itself. The CAM won't let you do that, so it fails instead, since that would be a collision. If you increase the sweep to 20° you can certainly use a 10mm linear lead out but since the cut side is on the inside of the cut geometry it will protrude inside the circle:

Adjusted Angle.JPG

I hope this clears up why you were getting a toolpath failure.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report