Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undercut with a Lollipop?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
ARTHUR-HM
986 Views, 4 Replies

Undercut with a Lollipop?

I could use a little help. I've never used a lollipop mill before, and I'm trying to undercut this backside chamfer on an ellipse hole. I've included a cross section of the hole to see the type of geometry I"m trying to remove. I assume it's possible, and that I'm just not setting this up correctly.

Thank you. 

also included the model. It's just a simple test model, dimensions aren't important. I'm just trying to get an idea of how so I can apply it to some other projects.

UNDERCUT.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Steinwerks
in reply to: ARTHUR-HM

You'll need to use 3D Contour. I'll see if I can knock something out real quick.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 3 of 5
Steinwerks

So your ball mill will limit the size of the feature of course as seen in my quick example since the shaft limits the clearance to avoid colliding with the geometry. You could use a full radius slot mill as well though. File attached.

Undercut 3D Contour.JPG

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 4 of 5
ARTHUR-HM
in reply to: Steinwerks

Excellent, thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. The undercut in actual use will not be quite that extreme. I think the trouble I was having was my lollipop mill was too large. It kept giving me vague errors that were not helpful. I have it working as you have shown, so I appreciate the help.

Message 5 of 5
Steinwerks

Good to hear! There are some settings that simply cause the kernel to fail as well, such as a large stepdown, and turning on Touch Surfaces was also making it fail, so sometimes it's best to just make the simplest, least-restricted toolpath possible to eliminate variables. I do hope for more meaningful error messages in the future.

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report