Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning Chamfer / Parting Anyone have a good work around?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
ianmacleanllc
1261 Views, 13 Replies

Turning Chamfer / Parting Anyone have a good work around?

I see that it has been pointed out that parting with a chamfer is not an option at this time. Hopefully this gets added as its a common task for most turning work.

I tried to:

Single groove (for clearance) 

Chamfer (no chamfer modeled)

Part

Worked OK... but the chamfer is poor. I can only get it to go "up" in X rather than down the part like I would program by hand.

Also when extending the chamfer it adds to both ends of the feed.

Messy. 

Anyone have a better work around while waiting for a canned fix?

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Mike.Grau
in reply to: ianmacleanllc

Hi @ianmacleanllc,

Thank you for raising our attention to that.

Could you may share a quick screencast and a public link of your design.

We may find a work around for now.

Thanks,

Message 3 of 14
ianmacleanllc
in reply to: Mike.Grau

Anyone have a workaround for chamfering before parting off yet? This is one thing that keeps us from using fusion for real production runs as when we edit posted code It opens the door for bad stuff....

What I want to do is add a small chamfer on the back of a part with my parting tool and then part off. I have "rigged" it using the chamfer tool but the problem with that is the direction of feed is running up and to the front of the part... (not going to get a good cut like that) If you could change the chamfer command to work "from front to back" I think it would work.

Ideas?

Message 4 of 14
Steinwerks

@ianmacleanllc

Can you attach a sample or dummy part as a .F3D? This shouldn't be too hard but having your tooling in the file will be helpful.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 5 of 14
ianmacleanllc
in reply to: Steinwerks

When doing this by hand code:

make small groove past the back of the part by the width of parting blade (For chamfer clearance)

Retract to the chamfer, cut chamfer (going towards back of part) then part off.

I can post the code if that helps, but Im just trying to knock the corner off a parted piece to avoid cleanup or 2nd opp. 

Message 6 of 14
Steinwerks

Try this part (attached).

I added a Groove toolpath, used Confinement set to the tool_insertWidth to set the distance, used Back to Front to apply the chamfer, removed lead moves (they do funky things at the moment), and set Go Home at Beginning for the first, and changed to Go Home at End for the parting toolpath:

Turned Chamfer.JPG

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 7 of 14
ianmacleanllc

Close, but that will roll a burr up the part...

BUT!!! now that I see how you used "groove" I can change that to Back to front and add a quick single groove for the clearance. I think...

Thanks!

Message 8 of 14
Steinwerks

The potential problem with Front to Back is you'll be feeding into the material at an angle. If your tool does alright with this, no worries. It's not very deep of course either.

You can also lie and use Groove to part the tool off after using Single Groove for the relief:

Groove as Part-off.JPG

Part attached again.

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 9 of 14
ianmacleanllc

Correct. That why I poke a small groove before making the chamfer cut. Its not a world class finish but for simple parts it saves cleanup or 2nd opp.

Thanks again as this is a big help for my workflow!

-Ian

Message 10 of 14
MarioFrechette
in reply to: Mike.Grau

Hello to all,

I guess what ianmacleanllc and other users have been asking for is a part-off with chamfer.

A. The part off tool moves to position 1 in axe Z in rapid passe the end of the part by a X distance(that we input).

B. The tool moves down in feed to below the extension of the chamfer + by minimum of the distance of the corner radius of the part-off tool.

C. The tool retracts in rapid to the top approach.

D. The tools moves in rapid in Z only to the extension to start to form the chamfer.

E. The tool follows the chamfer in feed to the end of the chamfer.

F. The tools then parts off the part by going down passe the center of the part by minimum distance of the corner radius of the part off tool.

G. The tools moves back up in X in rapid.

H. Then the tool moves to the XZ approach point.

Part-OFF with chamfer.jpg

Thanks.

Mario

Message 11 of 14

Exactly. 

I will post my hand code when I get to the shop in the am. It is way less movement than the "workaround" Groove > Groove > Parting

Not to muddy the waters... but I also program it as a radius sometimes.

Message 12 of 14
Steinwerks
in reply to: MarioFrechette

Message 13 of 14

Yes, the arc or any profile could be done!

I guess it has been proposed but not implemented or considered.

This is basic turning need in my view!

I will try to add it Steinwerks.

Thanks!

Message 14 of 14

If you want to vote for the part-off with chamfer or arc.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/fusion-360-part-off-with-chamfer-or-...

Pass the word If you want it.

Mario

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report