Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with drilling using bridgeport post

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
robby.wallace
1038 Views, 11 Replies

Trouble with drilling using bridgeport post

Been having trouble with the drilling operations. Using the "generic bridgeport" and "milling" when posting from CAM. Our machine is a bridgeport V2XT with a DX32 controller running BOSS DX/32 V2.30/4.54. 

All milling tool paths have worked great thus far, the problem is only with drilling. Any time I try to do a drilling operation, I can simulate it in fusion 360 and all looks fine but when I run it on the Bridgeport the drill never goes deep enough to touch the part even though each drill was zeroed on the surface of the part.

Thanks,

-Rob

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

A little more info would be helpful. Could you export and share a recent file here so we could see what's going on?

To export and share: File > Export > Save to local folder. Return to this thread and attach your .f3d file

The .f3d file will allow us to see your selections and definitions and if you could share the posted code, we could see what your post is spitting out. You may need to change the file extension of the code to .nc or .txt

Although, you said you were using the generic post, so I suppose just the .f3d would suffice

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 12

Seth, thanks for your help. I've attached the f3d file as well as the post code. The code is typically spit out as .nc which I always open then save as .txt. 

I'm very new to this stuff so it's very possible I'm just doing something incorrectly. 

Thanks!

-Rob

Message 4 of 12

The workaround to get it to drill my holes to depth has been changing my my "bottom height" to -.750" offset from "hole bottom" on both drilling operations the drill will just brake through the bottom of my part. So in the fusion 360 simulation it shows the drill going .750" below the bottom of my part though when I run it on the bridgeport CNC it barely breaks through. This workaroud is reflected in the attached files.

-Rob

Message 5 of 12

I have an eztrak and this is how I've set up my drill cycle. The Z depth is a positive number (cycle.bottom*-1) plus the clearance. Don't know if your machine is the same.

case "drilling":
	writeComment("Drilling");
      writeBlock(
        gAbsIncModal.format(90), gCycleModal.format(81),
        getCommonCycle(x, y, (cycle.bottom*-1+cycle.clearance)),
        feedOutput.format(F)
      );
      break;

Mark

Edit. This is the code for a 5mm deep hole starting from 5mm clearance.

'Drill1'
N2T1D8.M6
'Change to Tool 1  D=8. center drill'
N3G0X-105.Y-35.Z15.
N4Z5.
N5G81X-105.Y-35.Z10.F83.3
N6X-50.8Y0.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
ARTHUR-HM
in reply to: robby.wallace

This is due to the bridgeport drilling cycles being a little bit wonky. I've run into this issue as well. Also if you have a hole that is below zero, the bridgeport post doesn't work at all.

This is some of the stuff I found out when looking into this.

From the DX32 manual, Deep Drill (G83) should look like this:

G83 - X&Y - Z - Z - Z - F

First Z = Depth of Hole + Clearance

Second Z = Peck + Clearance

Third Z =  Peck

This is not how the generic bridgeport post functions. I was able to fix that issue in the post, and possibly fix the issue when posting a hole that is located below zero. I'll attach the post I came up with here for you. Play around with it and see if it works for you. I'm not the best with javascript, but so far it's been working for us just fine. I'm sure it needs more love, but at least it can point you in the right direction... possibly.

Message 7 of 12
robby.wallace
in reply to: ARTHUR-HM

Arthur, just loaded this post and tried a test piece. This seems to have fixed the problem. Thank you so much! We're excited to start using it!

-Rob Wallace
Message 8 of 12
chrisbravener

How do you load this post?  I just tried to use it and I keep getting an unsupported post error.

Chris Bravener
WCB Creative Solutions
Message 9 of 12

@chrisbravener When do you see the error and can you attach a screen grab of the error.

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 12

It is when I go to post the code.  I cannot open the post in an editor either.

Chris Bravener
WCB Creative Solutions
Message 11 of 12
kb9ydn

Whoa, how did I miss this thread?  I also have an EZTrak and could never get gcode to work right.  I always use the conversational post which makes for crazy huge code (which sucks because the "control" has practically no memory).  I'll have to try this post out some time.

C|

Message 12 of 12
t88powered
in reply to: kb9ydn

I am just starting to use a new to me 1996 Torq Cut 22 and had the same issue during drilling cycles which I thought might have been something I was doing wrong. Glad to see I'm not alone and that there is a fix. 

I will try to give an update once I have used the new post, thanks Arthur!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums