Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SW2017>Fusion for CAM

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Lonnie.Cady
211 Views, 2 Replies

SW2017>Fusion for CAM

I have been thinking that it best to forget about importing SW files into Fusion.  SW2017 is approaching SP2 and Fusion is still not importing them.  I also had an .sat (ascis) R22 file when fusion chokes on.

Even if support for SW2017 comes tomorrow, there will likely be a 4-5 month lag every time a new SW is released.

Looking for some tips on a good work flow between SW2017 and Fusion.  I assume I could export a .stp file and import into fusion.  At that point do I create a file and add it as a component in an Fusion assembly?   How well will I be able to replace the file in the assembly if the SW file changes?  Will anything in the CAM setup remain associative to the new model or will I have to open every operation and re-select geometry?

Just trying to determine if there is a feasible work flow between the 2 products.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
HughesTooling
in reply to: Lonnie.Cady

I think you'll lose your references because the translation to stp then translating into Fusion you are not likely to end up with all the same curve and surface IDs. You might be OK if all you've done is change a size but adding just a hole is probably going to change everything.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
Lonnie.Cady
in reply to: HughesTooling

@HughesTooling thanks for the insight.  Sounds like using fusion as a stand alone cam system is probably not going to work very well.  I guess i will just keep looking.

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report