Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radial toolpath direction (climb/conventional)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
shop
504 Views, 2 Replies

Radial toolpath direction (climb/conventional)

Hello, 

I am having trouble changing the direction of the radial toolpath to do a conventional cut on an ID cone with a 3 axis mill. I milled the ID cone and it came out decently, then milled the matching OD cone and it was way better in terms of surface finish. I attemped to change the direction of the toolpath for the ID cone to make it conventional mill (I believe this is the reason for the better surface finish. the toolpath was copied, the only difference is the geometry.), however the change direction selection under passes states 'one way', 'other way', or 'both ways', not 'climb' and 'conventional' as the Fusion 360 tips online says it does. This only had the effect of making the tool move up or down the cone, it did not change the direction of the toolpath. I change the step over to be much smaller and the toolpath did change to be clockwise not CCW but the stepover is now way too big. Also something I consider an issue is that under the radial passes the from angle / to angle option doesn't work as expected. From 0 to 360 and from 360 to 0 create the same CCW toolpath, this should be a simple way to change the direction of the path.

So the question is how can I get the tool to move CCW while maintaining my stepover? And am I on the right track or is there another reason for the surface finish difference?? Being that it is a radial path it seems like the direction change shouldn't matter but it's the only difference I see between the two parts. Would up milling or down milling actually be the climb/ conventional difference? It seems like it's the same and it matters more how the toolpaths puch the material around and overlap.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
shop
in reply to: shop

Close up pictures

Message 3 of 3
Steinwerks
in reply to: shop

I think for this one you'd be best served by making a dummy part with the toolpath in it. Trying to recreate your setup may be difficult, and since Conventional and Climb aren't terribly clear in a Radial operation having an example would make it much simpler IMO.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report