Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pitch diameter offset wrong?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
adamporto
1933 Views, 16 Replies

pitch diameter offset wrong?

i just started using thread milling and it appears the pitch diameter offset setting is wrong.

note says required if the hole is NOT drawn to the minor diameter.

my model is drawn to the minor diameter and i had to use this offset to make contact and actually thread the hole

Note needs to say required if the hole IS drawn to the minor diameter.

all we do is hardened steel here and this worked great once we figured it out.

it would be nice if it would auto calculate each step over base on the major and minor diameter

also if its possible to define the Major and minor diameter that would be nice

heres  a link to a sample

http://a360.co/2jICbPE

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
LibertyMachine
in reply to: adamporto

You are correct, that is misleading:

screenshot_59.png

@paul.clauss could you send this along and point out the error?

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 17
adamporto
in reply to: LibertyMachine

OK cool just making sure i wasn't missing something. hopefully that can be corrected with the next release really just the note need to change. but hoping some more features i mentioned can be added later

Message 4 of 17

@LibertyMachine Are you doing Inside or outside threads. I'm wondering if that will make a difference in the way it should be documented? 

Message 5 of 17

While that is a good point, the tooltip does say hole. For it to make the most sense, it should say "If the HOLE is not drawn to minor size" or if the POST/STUD is drawn to major size" and then of course, you would need an example, I'd imagine.

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 17

"Required if the hole is Not drawn to the Minor size, or if the Boss/Cylinder is drawn to the Major size."

That looks good to me, if this works for you I can add it right now.  I think my original testing may have been for Bosses.

Message 7 of 17

Gasp. You're the tooltip guy??

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 17
adamporto
in reply to: LibertyMachine

this is for a hole, it it  was stud then the wording would be correct, i guess a clear explanation is need to determine what is needed. but it does say "hole"

Message 9 of 17
adamporto
in reply to: mike.mattera

@mike.mattera wrote:

"Required if the hole is Not drawn to the Minor size, or if the Boss/Cylinder is drawn to the Major size."

That looks good to me, if this works for you I can add it right now.  I think my original testing may have been for Bosses.

i think you have it backwards.

Required if the hole IS drawn to the Minor size, or if the Boss/Cylinder IS drawn to the Major size

Message 10 of 17

"Gasp. You're the tooltip guy??"

You're scaring me @LibertyMachine.   It that a good thing that I'm the tooltip guy?

BTW:  I need confirmation. Do you like the wording I posted?

Message 11 of 17

I like the wording, but @adamporto is correct, the "NOT" should not be there:

"Required if the hole is drawn to the Minor size, or if the Boss/Cylinder is drawn to the Major size."

And it's just always nice to know is responsible for what area of the software. That way when something arises, I/We don't have to carpet bomb with Autodesk employee tagging. Unless we just want to do that for fun...

Seth Madore
Message 12 of 17

"Required if the hole is drawn to the Minor size, or if the Boss/Cylinder is drawn to the Major size."

Consider this done. You'll see it in the release on the 18th.

Always concerned when someone says  "So Your The Guy....?"

At that point you're either going to get a hug or a verbal lashing.  🙂

If you have suggestions for specific wording on tooltips, you can post here in the forum, or message/email me directly.

Thanks for your help in clearing this up.

Message 13 of 17
lorensunding

I was wondering if this issue was solved yet. I am using version 2.0.2727 of Fusion 360 and the thread mill pitch diameter offset window still says "Required if the hole is not drawn to minor diameter."

Message 14 of 17
mike.mattera
in reply to: lorensunding

This is what I'm seeing in V 2.0.2862 (current release)

Thread_Mill_PitchDia.png

Message 15 of 17
lorensunding

Ok, I guess I'm not running the most current version, thought I noticed it update recently.

Cheers,

Loren

Message 16 of 17
scottmoyse

The wording is correct in this tooltip, but the image isn't... the image incorrectly calls out the thread depth as the Thread Pitch Diameter. The effect is if you enter the dimension for the references indicated in the image, then you have to double the value to get the correct thread depth. So technically what is shown in the image, is the Thread Pitch Radius. cc @mike.mattera

I suppose "This is the thread depth, and the value is always positive" isn't quite right from a wording standpoint, when considered relative to the actual value required to mill to the desired thread depth. You could probably just remove that sentence and then change the image callouts to show you need to input the difference between the Major and Minor diameters if a pitch diameter value is required.

Thinking about it now after writing all this... this tooltip is probably best served with two images, threads on a Boss and threads on a hole and calling out where the modelled face is.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 17 of 17
angelo.juras

I like Boss/Cylinder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report