Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part machining poorly

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
bilingham
751 Views, 13 Replies

Part machining poorly

Am am having problems with this part:

Still0001.jpgStill0002.jpgStill0003.jpgStill0004.jpg

a pretty nasty looking piece. This was finished with "Spiral with circles", step over of .002, with a 1/16" two flute carbide ball end mill running at 10,000 rpm.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
HughesTooling
in reply to: bilingham

Try setting direction to one way so the tool path climb mills for the entire path, I also set to start at the inside just to be sure. Only other suggestion is tighten the tolerance as the part is quite small. 

before.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
bilingham
in reply to: HughesTooling

Interesting​ suggestions. I will make the adjustments and run the part again.  More pictures soon.

Message 4 of 14
HughesTooling

I didn't notice at first but your pocketing op is not going through the part so the finishing spiral is going to plunge through the stock that's left. Depending on where the plunges are it might cause a problem, you might want to do another pocketing op with rest enabled and a smaller cutter.

before.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
bilingham

I could clear the back of the part first.  wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?

Message 6 of 14
HughesTooling

I'd just make sure you have the holes through between the spokes before running the finish op, I don't think the roughing cutter you're using fits.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
bilingham

So you'd recommend a second roughing step, using a smaller cutter?  Maybe use a square end 1/16" and run a second adaptive clearing?  I'd go from a .085 two flute ball mill the a .0625 two flute square, to a .0625 two flute ball end for the finishing cut.

Message 8 of 14
HughesTooling

If you rough with a flat bottom tool I think it will spoil the surface because it will remove more material than the ball end. Take a look at the attached file using the same ball nosed cutter as the finish op.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
bilingham

I cannot get the file you posted to open.  Please describe what it shows.

Message 10 of 14
Steinwerks

@bilingham wrote:

I cannot get the file you posted to open.  Please describe what it shows.

In Fusion go to File -> New Design From File and choose @HughesTooling's temp.f3d from the directory it was saved in. You can't really "open" files in the file system like most formats.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 11 of 14
bilingham
in reply to: Steinwerks

Many thanks for all the help.  I believe that some combination of all you advice will solve my issues.

Message 12 of 14
bilingham

So I took all the offered advice and machined a new wheel.  It is significantly improved.  much better finish, many flaws eliminated.

Still0000.jpg

It does still have a few issues to fix.. Each of the spokes has one side, the left, with a smooth radius.  the other side has a sharp edge. This will require more experimenting.  Also, the tool paths are much too complex with lots of  picking up and moving the tool around the face.  my goal is a good wheel in 20 minutes of machining.

Message 13 of 14
HughesTooling

It might be worth doing away with the second roughing op and just drill 5 holes through the job as the first op then pocket then finish. What machine and control are you using?

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
bilingham

I use Mach3.  This wheel was machined with "pocket clearing" followed by "spiral with circles".  I used the same 1/16 carbide end mills for both operations. 10,000 rpm.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report