Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part machining poorly, new issues (pictures included)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
bilingham
218 Views, 6 Replies

Part machining poorly, new issues (pictures included)

I have created a new model for the wheel I have been working on.  It is quite small, .67 in diameter. Using all the new information I have recently gained from this forum, the result is really quite good.  However, a new problem has surfaced.

Here is a view of the wheel.  notice that the inside edge on the right is quite smooth.

tt7b.jpg

this picture shows the same wheel rotated 180.  Notice that there are a number of vertical grooves cut between the spokes.  These lines are in the tool path and appear in the G-code starting at line 11588 and continuing until line 11744.

tt 7a.jpg

Is this a bug?  This same flaw has occurred numerous times when making my miniature parts.  How do I fix this?

My set up is an X2 mini mill, running Mach3, 10,000 rpm, 1/16" carbide 2 flute ball nose end mill.  Thanks for your help!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Trigg3r
in reply to: bilingham

Not so much a bug, but the groves are a result of your spiral op trying to machine the vertical walls in certain places.Spiralwall.PNG

There are better ways to machine the other areas of your model, so think about containing the spiral to do the jobs not covered with more conventional ops like contour.

SpiralContained.PNG

Above I've just contained the tool path with an inner boundary and moved the outer boundary inward slightly.

Sorry I can't go into more detail but it time to head off to my real job 😮

Message 3 of 7
bilingham
in reply to: Trigg3r

Did you indicate a "don't touch surface" to limit the machining?

Message 4 of 7
HughesTooling
in reply to: Trigg3r

It looks like spiral with circles is not working

tool6.png

It's supposed to do a full circle at the min and max but it doesn't!

before.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
bilingham
in reply to: HughesTooling

That's odd.  What do you suggest?

Message 6 of 7
HughesTooling
in reply to: bilingham

I finally figured it out, the picture shows arrows across the diameter for the min and max rad but the text says you need to input the radius. You also need to under size by the radius of the cutter, then I found I needed to undersize a bit more before I got a good toolpath.

I found this works, unselect all restrictions on the geometry tab, I have attached the file as well. I added a 2d profile to finish the outer step, still needs the middle finished.

tool6.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
bilingham
in reply to: HughesTooling

EXCELLENT!  Thanks so much.

Here is what my final product looks like.

IMG_20170324_144113.jpg

The center of the wheel gets media blasted for a matt finish.  The outer rim gets turned with a lathe form tool, and the center is drilled and given a skim cut on the lathe.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report