Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oval Z changing chamfer

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
friesendrywall
758 Views, 12 Replies

Oval Z changing chamfer

Is there any way in fusion to properly calculate the chamfers on the top oval holes, or is this a tool limitation?  I think a modified Engrave path could do this, but maybe there is a cleaner way??  The trace chamfer doesn't cut it right, it is too deep on the sides.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Trace will give you problems, as it's not "model aware" and also not compensating a great deal for tool geometry. Part of your "deeper on the sides" issue is also due to there being material left from the Corner Rounding tool. You have .005 radial and axial stock left on.

Your two options are going to be a Scallop toolpath and Project. In this case here, Project is locking up my computer hard, so I'm thinking it's not possible with a Chamfer mill.

This leaves us with Scallop. My quick placement of a toolpath is an example only, there is fine tuning to be done, but you get the idea.screenshot_66.png

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 13

That still blows out the side.  Somehow the toolpath will have to factor in the upside edge of the tool.

Message 4 of 13
Steinwerks
in reply to: friesendrywall

Actually the reason it's gouging the part is that you are leaving .005" stock both radially and axially in the 'Finish round' toolpath.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 5 of 13
friesendrywall
in reply to: Steinwerks

I don't follow what you mean.  Run a simulation.  The sides of the holes are completely outside of the chamfer, probably because of the high side of the tool.  The other 3 holes aren't cut, the Finish round really isn't a factor that I understand.

Message 6 of 13
Steinwerks

@friesendrywall wrote:

I don't follow what you mean.  Run a simulation.  The sides of the holes are completely outside of the chamfer, probably because of the high side of the tool.  The other 3 holes aren't cut, the Finish round really isn't a factor that I understand.

I'm not sure what you mean here by the sides of the holes are outside of the chamfer.

I did a little refining of @LibertyMachine's toolpath and simulated after changing the stock to leave values in the Finish round toolpath to zero (unchecking that box) and get this:

Chamfer.JPG

The simulation does show a little gouging from the original he posted but his solution is valid. You can limit the toolpath by changing the boundary to just the outisde profile and some tweaking (negative value in the offset and limit number of stepovers on the Passes tab (here it is limited to 4).

If I return the Stock to Leave to .005" for both axial and radial this is the result:

Chamfer2.JPG

And this is the toolpath:

Scallop Chamfer.JPG

File attached.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 7 of 13
friesendrywall

@Steinworks Sorry, but if I run your file as posted, I get this -

Message 8 of 13
Steinwerks

Yes, just like the second photo in my last post. Smiley Wink (I ran it as Wall Paint for material in the simulation).

Again, you have Stock to Leave set at .005" for the corner round tool, that's going to reflect in that toolpath because the chamfer will be .005" "thicker" than it is in the model.

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 9 of 13
friesendrywall

I don't get it, sorry, either I have a disconnect or something else.  See my screencast.  With no offset, mine looks like your second, with offset it is even worse.

Message 10 of 13
Steinwerks

This is the toolpath in which you currently have extra stock:

Stock.JPG

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 11 of 13
friesendrywall

Ah yes, light is now dawning.  Sorry about this.

Message 12 of 13

After that, I realize that .005 chamfer tip offset works acceptably in trace/chamfer too.

Thanks for the look see catch.

Message 13 of 13
LibertyMachine

@Steinwerks Thanks for jumping in and taking care of this. I'm trying to keep the Mori running AND set up a job on my old Matsuura....and I really shouldn't have been on the forums Smiley Tongue

You explained what was going on better than I, I'm marking your answer as the solution.

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report