Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd issue with a 3d adaptive clearing rest tool path

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
308 Views, 5 Replies

Odd issue with a 3d adaptive clearing rest tool path

I am trying to do a 3d clearing rest toolpath like i learned to do earlier today. As i try to do this one, after it clears the valleys, it turns around and clears the top! cant figure it out.. Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Possible makeshift solution.. I set the top height to the model top and then offset by -0.2 and it seemed to ignore the top for the pathing. I'm not sure if this is the correct way or not.

Message 3 of 6
Steinwerks

To be fair, I really hate using the Relative Size Box feature in the Setup. I would suggest just using a Fixed Size Box based on the stock you want to use if you don't want to cut the top. You can avoid cutting the top here also by increasing your Fine Stepdown to the same depth as your Maximum Roughing Stepdown. There is a risk of linking moves in the stock if you mess with the Top Height too much and don't account for the Clearance height.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Steinwerks

I think i follow what your saying, BUT, its kinda late now, I already started the cut, lol. My Z's look like they will be OK in the Gcode though.

Could you explain this a bit more?: You can avoid cutting the top here also by increasing your Fine Stepdown to the same depth as your Maximum Roughing Stepdown.

Message 5 of 6
Steinwerks

@Anonymous wrote:

Could you explain this a bit more?: You can avoid cutting the top here also by increasing your Fine Stepdown to the same depth as your Maximum Roughing Stepdown.

Fine Stepdown.JPG

The Fine Stepdown is where your cutter will come back around and clean up around chamfers, 3D surfaces, remaining material and the like that were not cut at the full depth of cut. This can also bite you though as it can keep the cutter from reaching full optimal depth when accounting for Axial Stock to Leave and flat surfaces (also you should have Flat Area Detection turned on in this instance).

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Steinwerks

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report