Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lathe CAM problems with simple dxf

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
jasonharrelson
179 Views, 1 Reply

Lathe CAM problems with simple dxf

I have several issues with fusion 360 today. Unfortunately, I recorded a screencast to demonstrate the issues, but the screencast function is not working and will not save the video. So I'll explain it here hoping someone has a solution.

I am attempting to revolve a dxf curve (exported as splines) and then create the profile in CAM using a boring bar. I HAVE done this before successfully by drawing a spline in fusion 360 with no issues. When using an imported dxf file that is a simple curve with no other geometry, the resulting import becomes numerous line segments. When these are revolved, they become 40+ tiny surfaces rather than one continuous smooth surface. When selecting "Confinement" in the CAM operation for turning, I cannot select all of these tiny surfaces, nor would I want to as I do not need lots of tiny flat facets in my smooth part. 

I would re-draw the curve in Fusion if that were an acceptable solution. However, I'm trying to REDUCE WORK rather than increase steps. At this point, BobCAD is incredibly easy compared to Fusion 360. In BobCAD, I can import the curve and have a turning operation posted in under 1 minute. I would like to make the switch to Fusion, however I have encountered so many problems similar to this one that it is literally impossible to post any of my work. 

Can someone offer in depth hands on training in my shop to resolve these issues? The forums never really give solutions that translate to my applications. I know a lot of you are helpful and generous with your time, but I have yet to solve any Fusion 360 lathe issues in under 3 days. I don't have 3 days to solve every little button click!

I'm willing to pay good money to have training that will solve our problems. 

Thanks,

Jason 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Are you turning on spun profile and smoothing?

Not sure that would help.  I would be willing to look at it also if you want to share it.

I have had issues with imported geometry.  It was even a good solid model.  The chamfers were coming out as several small arcs.  As in one chamfer would be 10 acr segments.  I posted about it twice but never got any where with it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report