Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imported models

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Marek_B
241 Views, 5 Replies

Imported models

Can anyone advice the best strategy how to work on imported models in stp, igs or SolidWorks format.

I work in machine shop and sometimes we are getting model file from customer. I can import it to Fusion but Fusion behaves little different.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but for example when I want to add a stock body or additional sketch or body, I cannot later on edit it. There is no timeline.

Thanks

Marek 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jeff.pek
in reply to: Marek_B

Imported models are set up as direct editing models -- so no timeline. You might be able to switch over to enable a timeline for later changes.

Jeff

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

My work flow with imported models is as follows:

Upload

Go into patch and stitch the bodies together to make one (might not be required but it works well for me)

Right click at the top on the model browser tree and select "Capture Design History"

Paul

Message 4 of 6
Marek_B
in reply to: Anonymous

Paul,

I did as you said and the timeline has showed up. Looks like the imported model is a one solid piece without any selectable details.  How to work on this model to select edges, surfaces points?

Can I convert imported model to surfaces, curves ,etc..?

Thanks

Marek

Message 5 of 6
HughesTooling

Can you make a design you can share here? You should be able the modify imported models and extract edges and points without doing anything special. If you have a part you can share export as an F3D file and attach.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
Marek_B

I think I have got it, it was set as Unselectable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report