Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If You're New To Fusion CAM, Try This...

49 REPLIES 49
Message 1 of 50
mike.mattera
13064 Views, 49 Replies

If You're New To Fusion CAM, Try This...

If You're New To Fusion CAM, you might want to take a look at these new tutorials from the Learning Experience (LX) team.

Introduction To 2D Machining (Milling).

http://fusion360.autodesk.com/learning/learning.html?guid=GUID-FEFD4AFD-C53D-4411-85C0-62053B2FD105

This is a process based lesson plan that takes you from the beginning to the end of programming a complete part. While you can jump to a specific lesson for quick information, it's advised that you go thru the entire series, from beginning to end.

Each step/page of the lesson process is fully documented and includes video instruction.

Also, looking for feedback. Tell me what you think of these types of lessons.

49 REPLIES 49
Message 21 of 50

To say it's a toy product is absolutely ridiculous. If all content was updated prior to a release, we would constantly be waiting for new features.

From the amazing documentation autodesk produce, I really struggle to see how an 'intelligent' user could be confused.. I wouldn't class myself as intelligent and I could use all of Fusions features blindfolded with no limbs (that's obviously an exaggeration but it is VERY user friendly compared to other CAD/CAM packages).

Even if they were using people to Beta test for free, they get free use of a CAD/CAM package which in my eyes is worth well over $4k.

Again, good job on the manuals and documentation... Keep it up 🙂
Message 22 of 50
scottmoyse
in reply to: mike.mattera

This is looking great @mike.mattera.

@Cayenne9 WOW DUDE!! Chill. If you don't like it that much, don't use it. If you're in a state that legalized cannabis maybe pop off and smoke a joint. I mean everyone can get wound up about stuff every now & then, I have my fair share of ranty posts on here, but you're losing the plot over documentation for a product that updates every 6 weeks. The CAM documentation and features are pretty static though, as in, once implemented, they don't change. So your whole argument in the context of this thread is mute anyway.

The way you're carrying on makes me wonder if you work for a competitor to Fusion 360 to be honest.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 23 of 50

Sounds interesting but nothing is loading.

All I see is a blank page trying to load something.

Regards, Robert

Message 24 of 50
brianrepp
in reply to: VisualConduct

Hi @VisualConduct - unfortunately we're having issues this morning with our Learning site.  The team is working on getting it back up and running as soon as possible.

Message 25 of 50

@VisualConduct the old version of help is still working you might find what you're after here.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 26 of 50

Thanks Mark,

The link started to work two hours later, a strange hick-up i supose.

Kind regards, Robert

Message 27 of 50
Anonymous
in reply to: Cayenne9

@Cayenne9 wrote:

I'm guessing that the majority of users are Windows users. Is no-one at Autodesk aware of what the F1 key does in the windows environment? No developer has to use this built-in help system, but if they don't they should provide a shortcut/avenue to INSTRUCTIONS that explain how to properly use the current iteration of a given function/command.

I've been using Windows OS for over 20 years and never knew what the F1 key does.  That's because Microsoft doesn't publish a user's guide, or owner's manual, or any other useful documentation.  Users are expected to find out about this stuff from peers or forums.  Autodesk is doing a better job than most at instructing users, even if they don't incorporate the F1 key.  Thanks for the tip, I never learned this from Bill Gates!
Message 28 of 50
Anonymous
in reply to: Cayenne9

Thqnks

Message 29 of 50
fpmachinebob

Doing some live tooling and my flats have a bow in them, I'm using a 1/2 in. e-mill at 90 deg.

Any suggestions.

Message 30 of 50

Thank you this really helped because CAM in Fusion had me confused for so long 

Message 31 of 50
Anonymous

Hi,

Long time programmer, new to Fusion.

Why do I not see ANY tutorials for 3D machining, or am I simply not seeing them?

Thanks,

Message 32 of 50
scottmoyse
in reply to: Anonymous

you're simply not seeing them. They are in the help files, there's a tonne of content. And miles and miles of content on YouTube.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 33 of 50
Anonymous
in reply to: scottmoyse

I was referring to the link from this post. But ok.

Message 34 of 50
scottmoyse

http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID8BAEFAD0-9626-4D87-A690-B8BEBA70496C

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 35 of 50
Anonymous

You are correct. If you logged in to the software and are online you might
see the advice pop ups once you click on new funtions you have not clicked
before within fusion 360. This is the most the software has added as far as
helping new users. I feel like the time has come to incorporate an
in-software tutorial of all the functions and a built in AI class tutorial
section under the (?) help button on the top right. Here is the link for
CADlearning .
tutorials on all
functions. Many of us would like to see in-software quick tips as a toggle
on and off feature. Games all do it!
Message 36 of 50
Anonymous

And so do almost every other CAM system I have used. And that would be a
bunch.
I really didn't need the tutorial, but when trying to cut a simple radial
surface with a 45° tangential surface, I got less than desirable results
when trying to extend past surface edges, no matter what I tried. Spent
about an hour changing every possible option I could find. You have no
flowline toolpath so parrellel is what I used.
I'll keep playing with it because I believe in what Autodesk is doing, even
though forcing one to store the files in their cloud server is totally
baffling to me. As an option, yes. But not mandated.
Message 37 of 50
Anonymous

Not to mention intellectual and proprietary rights.

Message 38 of 50
HughesTooling

Have you tried clicking the i at the bottom of the dialogs? It works in the CAD and the CAM

temp.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 39 of 50
HughesTooling

@Anonymous wrote:

I really didn't need the tutorial, but when trying to cut a simple radial
surface with a 45° tangential surface, I got less than desirable results
when trying to extend past surface edges, no matter what I tried. Spent
about an hour changing every possible option I could find. You have no
flowline toolpath so parrellel is what I used.

@Anonymous

There isn't really any way to extend 3d toolpaths past the edge of the surface. What you have to do is switch to the patch workspace and create a bigger surface. If you're lucky this can be quite easy, use offset from the create menu and set the offset to zero to make a copy then use extend on the edges. In your op where you want to extend the toolpath, select the geometry tab, enable Model the select the surface and make sure Include Setup Model is enabled. Now the op will use the body selected in the setup and your new surface. 

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 40 of 50
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thank you. A bit old school, but that will work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report