Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use wear compensation for adjusting fret slot width in fingerboard?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
rsnewmanRFVUW
524 Views, 9 Replies

How to use wear compensation for adjusting fret slot width in fingerboard?

I'm trying to figure out how to use cutter wear compensation to tweak the width of nominal .023" wide slots in a fretboard.  I need to be able to increase them by as little as .001".  I can do it by adjusting radial material left in CAM before I post process, but it would be much easier and faster to be able to apply a cutter diameter wear offset in Mach3 as needed.

I can see the compensation choice with a contour, but it doesn't appear with slotting or pocketing.  Is there another way to cut these slots that would allow wear compensation?  The slots are closed end, don't go to the edge of the model.  I use a nominal .023 endmill, but it cuts a bit shy depending on the material.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: rsnewmanRFVUW

Even if you were to use a contour tool path, it would need lead in and a lead out to be able to get the comp on.

Not sure it's possible if your cutter is the same size as your slot ?

Message 3 of 10
rsnewmanRFVUW
in reply to: Anonymous

My cutter is a few thou smaller than the slot.  

When I tried to take a contour path, it wants to cut outside the line and leave the slot as an island, can't get it to cut inside the line.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Can you share the file ?

Message 5 of 10
rsnewmanRFVUW

Sure, do you mean the gcode or the Fusion CAD file? 

What's the best way to do that?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Go up to the menu bar, select export form the file menu.

save the .f3d file and upload here.

Message 7 of 10
rsnewmanRFVUW

This is a .023" slot using a .022" cutter

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

As far as I can see you will not be able to use "wear" with that cutter and slot size combination, because to use wear you need to have lead in and out turned on, however you can't do that because of the size of tool and slot, there is not enough room.

If it was me I would create another tool or a few tools in the library that are .001 smaller, get fusion to contour the slot with these, as they are a little smaller it will move further over when contouring for each tool.

Might just work.

Attached is your file with contour added.

Hope this help in some way.

Paul

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

When you're selecting the boundary, you need to click the arrow on the line to switch the path from outside to inside.

Message 10 of 10
rsnewmanRFVUW

macca5 and stniesen, thanks for the suggestions.  

Creating smaller tools in .001 increments will work, as does using a negative number for radial stock to leave, which is what I've been doing.  Works in both pocketing and contouring (which I can now do)

I need to understand more about the lead in function and parameters.  I have to admit there are a lot of parameters in the cad operations that I don't yet understand, I've just figured out enuf to get by and make the needed parts.  I'll have to spend some time with the CAM tutorials.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report