Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exporting dxf from fusion into 2d design has gone wrong

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
bobbonney78
3413 Views, 28 Replies

exporting dxf from fusion into 2d design has gone wrong

Hi guys I'm a DT teacher and have a new role in a school and i need to learn fusion 360 to help with GCSE students. Having started to learn last week i have been able to design using the program and export into a 3d printer which worked brilliantly. i now would like to use a CNC router to cut out the shapes. This is where my problems begin see attached. The dxf file from fusion is fine. See below. However in order for me to add this to the oxford router i need to import this into 2d Design V2 but the curves and fillets go badly wrong. Can anyone help please. Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 16.09.31.png

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Does the Oxford router only recognize .dxf files, or can you send it G-Code?

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 29

Hi Seth the usual way we get the router to work is through 2d design, but this wasn't allowing the curves or fillets on the design from fusion 360 to transfer, but in the software that came with the router it accepts stl files, so i tried this today and it worked but took over an hour for one side to be printed which is not ideal. So trying to work it out as a dxf file as we know this will be so much faster. It doesn't accept G-Code I'm afraid.

Message 4 of 29

A couple of thoughts, for what it's worth;

There is a .dxf post on the CAM Post Library, is that what you are using? I do believe you would need to apply toolpaths for it to function..

2017-03-10_04h46_42.png

Second, what DOES the program actually look like?

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 29

Hi Seth 

thanks, so this is an extension that i need to download into the boxford software or fusion 360? many thanks for all your help with this

Message 6 of 29

Wait. Boxford OR Oxford?

There IS a Boxford post on the forum as well:

2017-03-10_04h46_20.png

Yes, you would need to download the .cps file to your computer and set the Post process dialog to search for it:

2017-03-10_04h55_38.png

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 29

Hi Seth thanks for this ill try and get that sorted today, could i ask why you think the dxf file is not showing up correctly on the 2d design v2 software? could it be the fusion 360 is a student download and not a subscription version, are there limitations to what you can export possibly?

Message 8 of 29

Student version has no restrictions (as far as I know). I can only surmise that it's not reading the file correctly, but that is well outside of my knowledge skillset. Can you open up the .dxf file in any other software and look at a perfect layout?

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 29

Hi Seth yes the autodesk dxf viewer is fine, plus a piece of software called LibreCAD which another post recommended as I'm using a mac is also showing it fine, possibly its a mac PC cross over issue as the 2d design software  is pc based, and I'm designing the jumps on a mac?

Message 10 of 29

Hi Seth so managed to get a dxf file out of fusion which seems to work having used adobe illustrator and having checked it on LibreCAD and Autodesk A360 viewer, so will try and see if the Boxford router Software can see it fingers crossed. 

Message 11 of 29

Hi Seth

okay today is the day I'm trying to get the dxf file into the boxford software, i have downloaded the cps file, could you tell me how i need to install this. Is this  a fusion plugin or a plugin into the boxford software? My understanding is this will allow me to import dxf files into oxford and bypass the 2d design workflow. Is this correct. The post process dialogue box how do i get to this sorry!!

bob

Message 12 of 29

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 29

Seth your a star thank you 

Message 14 of 29

The method shown is using a cloud post storage system, but the same can be done with local storage. That said, I much prefer putting my stuff on the cloud so it's available regardless of what computer I log in on (there is a cached version left on each computer I log in on, so I'm not worried about being left high and dry)

Seth Madore
Message 15 of 29

Seth when i click on the post process button, it says i have no valid tool path selected clearly I'm not doing something.

Message 16 of 29

To export a .dxf file using the Post Process function, you will need to actually apply a toolpath to the part. This is uncharted territory for me, so I'm limited in what I can recommend. 

Question: The Boxford has a .gmm file extension for the program that is run. Is this a file that can be extracted and saved to another computer? Can it be brought back into the Boxford and run again? I ask this for this reason; If it CAN be extracted and fed back in, then I would be tempted to first try using the Boxford post that I mentioned earlier. Apply your toolpaths to the part (how you want it cut) using the Fusion CAM workspace and post out using that method, over inserting a .dxf file into your machine. Ditch the .dxf and go straight for code (if your machine can function that way). Bypass the 2D Design V2 software entirely.

Seth Madore
Message 17 of 29

Thanks Seth i will give that a go today.

Message 18 of 29
bobbonney78
in reply to: bobbonney78

Hi Seth

so been busy with this and have watched some great youtube clips on setting up the post process, and using face and contours etc to mill it properly. I'm struggling with stock depths and flute lengths , and I'm just using a tool that i could find that was the same shape and size of 6.35mm etc but will try and crack this tomorrow hopefully. My issue is now when i save out the file it opens up a program called brackets on my mac, what am i supposed to do with this, do i need to do anything to this code? Also after i have transferred this to the Boxford software on a pen drive its saying issues with GM Header not being recognised and G94 error, and it won't work ( shock Horror) can you shed any light on this. I have taken it back to a very simple part out of MDF with a stock of 800mm X axis 300mm y axis and 12mm Z axis

Message 19 of 29

When you "Post out" a part (run the CAM through the Post Processor), the resulting file that opens up is your code. Sometimes referred to as G-code. This is a catch all term for the code that is needed to run your machine.

The errors you are getting can be due to a few things.

Questions:

1) Do you have any similar code that has been run on the Boxford? Your previous method involved a .dxf going into another program. Did that program generate a file that you fed into the Boxford?

2) Do you have any support forums where you could ask a Boxford specific question? Not at all trying to pass you off to someone else, but I think you could greatly benefit from the input of someone who knows that machine and what it needs

3) Expand on your tool issue? You do know you can specify any size tool you want, it doesn't need to be any particular size. It just needs to match on-screen what you have in-hand

Seth Madore
Message 20 of 29

Hi Seth i appreciate that ill contact Boxford and see if they know of any forums, it makes sense to do that thanks for all your help, hopefully nearly there.

Bob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report