Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty Toolpath Warning

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
kfreyP5PK8
2126 Views, 10 Replies

Empty Toolpath Warning

Hi, my first project in Fusion has been a huge learning experience and a lot of fun! But I'm stuck trying to mill an open pocket using adaptive clearing. I keep getting an 'Empty Toolpath' warning. I tried changing entry values and almost every setting in the toolpath parameters and tried selecting geometry in every way I could think of, but no luck.

I'm trying to mill the area shown:

Capture.JPG

I would appreciate if someone could take a look at the file, an find what I'm doing wrong

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Steinwerks
in reply to: kfreyP5PK8

This feels pretty broken Smiley Frustrated

None of my standard workarounds are doing what I expect, which leads me to believe chaining has changed on some level that I can't check. I will continue to try and figure this out. Currently all I can get is a closed pocket toolpath by making the Pocket Selection a closed contour:

Closed Adaptive.JPG

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 3 of 11
Steinwerks
in reply to: Steinwerks

@jeff.pek

Something weird going on here. This edge is not allowed to be chained into a Closed Contour whatsoever. See screenshot with greyed out closed contour option:

Error.JPG

I have not dived into the CAD yet to see if it's a sketch issue.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 4 of 11
kfreyP5PK8

I appreciate you looking into this. I'm afraid of what you might find in the sketching! It's probably a mess to experienced usersSmiley Embarassed.

Message 5 of 11
Steinwerks

I only found one line that wasn't locked down in the sketch and defining it so it's fixed doesn't correct the issue. I believe the issue I'm looking at now is related to one of the Fillet features.

Edit: So I think that this actually has to do with the Projection that is the basis for all the subsequent geometry. You have a warning in the timeline saying as much and although the CAD went ahead and did what you told it to, it probably shouldn't have. I will see if it can be fixed easily, but I'm running out of time for the moment.

Warning.JPG

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 6 of 11
Trigg3r

The sketching did have a few problems, looks like you've moved a few things around or deleted them after using them for a projection.

I've repaired the sketches by adding in some geometry to replace the missing projection source, deleted an offset plane which appeared to do nothing, and specified a sketch plane for the final warning.

As for the pocket, the problem was caused by the 4 0.05" fillets. Not sure why but making these G2 solved the issue, also making them 0.04" non-G2 worked.

Even stranger, I suppressed the earlier fillets and recreated them exactly at the end of the timeline at 0.05" and hey presto, a good tool path.

Your modified file is attached. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
Steinwerks
in reply to: Trigg3r

@Trigg3r

Your file has the Rough Pocket plunging in through a hole that isn't there yet. Can't seem to make that work from the outside either. Changing the .05" fillets to G2 and reversing the geometry in the original file produces the expected toolpath (for some reason).

Plunge.JPGOutside Entry.JPG

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 8 of 11
kfreyP5PK8

what do you guys mean by 'changing the fillet to G2' and how do you do that?

Message 9 of 11
Steinwerks

@kfreyP5PK8 wrote:

what do you guys mean by 'changing the fillet to G2' and how do you do that?

It is a geometry setting for the Fillet feature (in the Model workspace):

G2.JPG

Edit: here's some explanation behind it: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/lofting-from-intersecting-edges/td-p/6443189...

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 10 of 11
kfreyP5PK8

Ok, nice work Trigg3r and Steinwerks!

Got my toolpath working by changing the .05 fillets to G2 and reselecting the chain. Never would have figured that one out myself!

many thanks!

Message 11 of 11
Trigg3r

@kfreyP5PK8 Glad you got it sorted out 🙂

@Steinwerks Haha got me there ! I normally ditch the ramps when troubleshooting just to make sure there's nothing daft going on with ramp diameter etc. 

Looking at it now (12:50 pm UK) rather than very early AM it's only the outer two fillets causing the toolpath problem, specifically how they tangent to the outer face. (G2 v Non-G2)

Note the odd arrow direction in the first picture, parallel across the front of the part. Weird. Smiley Frustrated

Non-G2.PNG

G2-untouched.PNG

G2-reversed.PNG

Oh, and thanks for the IG follow 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report