Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Drilling) Bottom Hole Depth

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Zero__
728 Views, 2 Replies

(Drilling) Bottom Hole Depth

Hi guys,

I'm trying to create a 1" deep hole in 1" thick aluminum. The top half of the hole is .3115 (bored out with an N drill, then reamed with a .3115" reamer). The bottom half of the hole is 1/4-20" tapped.

Because I'm predrilling then reaming a hole which is not a through hole, I have to be careful with my depths. So my question is this: if I create a Drilling operation with my N drill, and set the depth to "hole bottom" which is half inch deep, is the "just the tip" of the drill going to half inch deep, or does it take it down past the point to the cylindrical portion?

Second question: help me with this operation. I'm thinking I need to take the cylindrical depth down to .5", so that when I bring my reamer down to a .5" depth, it won't hit a conic of material it isn't supposed to deal with at the bottom portions of the hole. Does this sound correct?

---
"The future is already here - it's just not that evenly distributed."
Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
LibertyMachine
in reply to: Zero__

To answer your first question:

If you have "Drill Tip through bottom" turned on, it will cut deeper than .50", and it will actually be .500" deep at the full diameter of the drill. With it turned off, the point will go to .500.

Second question:

If you are going in with a reamer, you do not want it hitting any material left from the drill point. You want to either use an endmill and interpolate it to be a flat-bottom, or go deeper with the drill

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 3
Zero__
in reply to: LibertyMachine

See this is more than I already knew. You're saying that just checking "Drill Tip through Bottom" already does something. Even if I don't enter a break through depth, it's going farther down already than it would have.

So if I want the drill to go to the full depth of the drill bit and no further, I should select "Drill Tip Through Bottom" and leave the Break Through Depth at 0? I'll make certain my drill tip angles are correct!

---
"The future is already here - it's just not that evenly distributed."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report