Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cam with cylinder stock

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
hermodo
419 Views, 3 Replies

Cam with cylinder stock

Hi

I have designed a rod Clevis with Pin that i want to machine out of a piece of 25mm rod. Since the clevis is square, I need to face mill the sides, but I am unable to select the sides of the cylinger as point for my work coordinate system - So that I hav my X and Y axis in the correct onrientation. Is there a trick to this that I am not seeing

Hermod

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
LibertyMachine
in reply to: hermodo

It will require a little more work than is expected. You can do a couple of things:

1) Simply model your stock. Draw a 20mm cylinder and extrude it along the length of the part. Make sure you select "Create New Body" or Component. Select this body as your stock with the "From Solid" option

2) Sketch a line that runs along the centerline of the part (along the length, to simulate the centerline of the stock). Select this as the "Axis"

You can then go about doing your Setup and programming.

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 4
hermodo

Modeling the 25mm rod did the trick. Would be nice though if axis could be selected as a normal stock setup. Thnx.

Hermod

Message 4 of 4
Steinwerks

@hermod2G3PT wrote:

Modeling the 25mm rod did the trick. Would be nice though if axis could be selected as a normal stock setup. Thnx.

Hermod

It can, but it has to be visible. If your part exists on one of the Origin axes they can be used as well, but usually after the start of modeling Fusion turns the visibility off and it has to be turned on in the Model environment (sort of a pain).

Work Axis.JPG

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report