Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cam issue with pocket

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
njngp
224 Views, 9 Replies

Cam issue with pocket

Hi All,

I am new to CAM settings and there are many terminology to learn. I know how to design but a complete beginner for CAM.

I tried various tools to make the pocket but the inner surface is not smooth. If any one can help me to select the correct tool with

setting I appriciate very much. Part file is attached.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
LibertyMachine
in reply to: njngp

Take a look at this attempt and see if it looks any better than your attempt(s).

To open the file: File > New Design from File. Double-click the .f3d file you just downloaded.

I opted to use a Scallop routine, although other choices would work, such as Ramp, Morph Spiral or 3D Contour. I prefer the Scallop for how I can control and restrict it.

I also added a tool to remove the majority of the material.

Simulation still looks choppy, although I strongly suspect that's just the quality of the sim. 

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 10
njngp
in reply to: LibertyMachine

Hi Mr.Madore,

Thanks again for the quick reply and I will try this and will inform about the results.

Best regards,

Nihal Perera

Message 4 of 10
njngp

Hi Mr. Madore,

We tested the data. In the attached photo there are two holes drills with Bore (manually)

and the Circular.

A= we just did as per data settings and the surface is rough and the operator says that the ball mill is jumping from one point to

other point according to him.

B= I changed the parameters to get very small stepover and the finish is very good. Also in the nc files I can see that G41/G42 is

there so the operator says this is the correct way.

But when I tried to do the Scallop and made the stepover very small we do not have G41/G42 in the nc file. Operator says that is

not good and the finish will be same as Hole A in the photo. I need to have nc files with G41/G42 in the data. I found it is

possible to do that only in the Circular tool only.

Greatly appriciate if you can give a solution.

Nihal Perera

Message 5 of 10
njngp

Sorry the photo is here.Photo1.jpg

Message 6 of 10
LibertyMachine

Scallop  will only have Arcs if you turn Smoothing on. Smoothing is found on the Passes tab and it has a correlation to the Tolerance setting, found also in the Passes tab. You will have to play with both of them to find the happy medium. If you click on the corner of the operation on the CAM tree, it will expand and you can see the file size. Smoothing will typically shrink that file size by 60% or more. That makes for a happier control and typically finish as well

If it's still not giving you proper arcs or your machine is still struggling, I'd suggest trying 3D Contour, also with Smoothing turned on

Here's a GREAT THREAD on smoothing

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 7 of 10
njngp

Hi Everybody,

I have a question about the G Code  G41 and G42

In Fusion 360 CAM section if I choose 2D Circular then I can see G41/G42 at every block and our machine operator the code is good and Tool offset is included.

But if I generate the G Code using any other tool, 2D or 3D then we do not have the G41/G42 in the blocks. The operator says the tool is going from one 

point to the other point, like zig sag movement. Our machine is Makino and we do not have the proper Post for it in Fusion 360. I tried all the Posts in Fusion 360

but could not find one. Is there is a parameter in CAM section that I can include the G41/G42 into the block.

Sorry I am new to CAM and just learning and trying to find a solution.

Message 8 of 10
Steinwerks

Most of the toolpaths do not use cutter compensation, just the 2D finishing ones (2D Pocket with a finish pass, 2D Contour, Bore, Circular, Thread, 2D Chamfer).

That said, the generic Fanuc post should be very close for Makino controls. Folks here are more than happy to help make small changes as needed.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 9 of 10
njngp
in reply to: Steinwerks

Dear Neil,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay.

Our machine is Makino V33i and the control system is Fanuc Professional 5.

We could not get a good output of nc file for the part mentioned earlier.

If you can help to solve the probelm highly appriciated.

Please inform about your idea.

Best regards,

Nihal Perera

Message 10 of 10
njngp

Sorry please find the file here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report