Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bizarro threading tool in simulation

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
tomae
745 Views, 9 Replies

Bizarro threading tool in simulation

Tool looks fine in the tool table and in the CAM workspace when setting up toolpaths, but go into simulation and craziness happens.  BY THE WAY, I noticed this happening before today's update...  

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
k6ls
in reply to: tomae

that is bizarre .  looks like a graphics rendering issue.

I played around with some of your settings, while I have very limited time on the turning side,

I did get some 'improvement' when adjusting the "heights"

all that to say that I'm curious now, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along and figure things out.

Message 3 of 10
HughesTooling
in reply to: k6ls

You have the pitch set to 0.5889, I think it should be 0.05555 for an 18 tpi thread!

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
tomae
in reply to: HughesTooling

@HughesTooling wrote:

You have the pitch set to 0.5889, I think it should be 0.05555 for an 18 tpi thread!

Mark

Interesting, yes I hadn't set all the parameters yet. Changing that does indeed fix the oddity.  Why would having the wrong pitch change the geometry of the tool itself?

Actually, what I was doing was trying to get the tool to appear correctly in the simulation AND post code correctly.  So I wasn't paying all that much attention to the parameters.  With this tool I cannot do both.  Currently it only works if I set it to spin Clockwise, that means I have to hand-edit my posts to fix the spindle direction every time.  I have forgotten and ruined a couple inserts.  I REALLY wish they would de-couple spindle direction and the tool orientation 😞

Thanks for sorting out what caused weird looking tool,

-Tom

Message 5 of 10
HughesTooling

If you turn off use cycle the simulation will simulate the thread cutting so I think that's why the tip is displayed wrong. Off course they're not taking into account you might be cutting an oil groove with a very coarse pitch. 

@tomae wrote:

Actually, what I was doing was trying to get the tool to appear correctly in the simulation AND post code correctly.  So I wasn't paying all that much attention to the parameters.  With this tool I cannot do both.  Currently it only works if I set it to spin Clockwise, that means I have to hand-edit my posts to fix the spindle direction every time.  I have forgotten and ruined a couple inserts.

How do you need the tool displayed, can't you set the tool holder up as left handed and the rotation as anticlockwise?

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
tomae

@HughesTooling wrote:

@tomae wrote:

Actually, what I was doing was trying to get the tool to appear correctly in the simulation AND post code correctly.  So I wasn't paying all that much attention to the parameters.  With this tool I cannot do both.  Currently it only works if I set it to spin Clockwise, that means I have to hand-edit my posts to fix the spindle direction every time.  I have forgotten and ruined a couple inserts.

How do you need the tool displayed, can't you set the tool holder up as left handed and the rotation as anticlockwise?

If I select Right-Handed and Clockwise, everything works EXCEPT I have to change the M3 in the post to an M4 to change spindle rotation.  If I select Left-Handed and Counter Clockwise two things happen, 1) In simulation the tool moves in the wrong direction to thread - from inside outside of the stock and 2) The holder that holds the insert is facing the wrong way so the actual cutting point of the insert is behind the centerline of the stock.  You can see both these issue in the screencast.

The latter might be ignored since the centerline is not an actual position command, the tool is naturally there, but the former outputs position commands that are a show stopper.

They need to de-couple the tool orientation from the spindle direction.  They are not (always) coordinated in the way HSM (or Autodesk) has assumed they are...

-Tom

Message 7 of 10
HughesTooling

Just trying to understand what you're trying to do, are you using a right handed tool to cut a left hand thread starting at the back shoulder cutting out?

@tomae wrote:

They need to de-couple the tool orientation from the spindle direction.  They are not (always) coordinated in the way HSM (or Autodesk) has assumed they are...

-Tom

There are a lot of places were they are making assumption were there should a "I know what I'm doing option". Like with leads, there are some directions you're not allowed a lead-in\out even though it's what you want and it would work perfectly well.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
tomae

@HughesTooling wrote:

Just trying to understand what you're trying to do, are you using a right handed tool to cut a left hand thread starting at the back shoulder cutting out?

No, I am simply trying to cut a "normal" right hand thread with a left hand tool.  The video I posted above is what is IS DOING, not what I WANT IT TO DO.  The video below shows the CORRECT orientation but I can only get this if the spindle is spinning in the WRONG direction.

My lathe is an Emco 120P slantbed style.  My tools are in a turret in the upper right, spindle lower left - standard "back tool" lathe configuration.  In any given tool position the tool can be facing outward towards the operator or inwards towards the machine - it is the operator's choice which orientation he wants.  If facing outward, the front edge is cutting so you want the spindle to turn clockwise.  If facing inward the cutting edge is facing away from the operator and you spin the spindle counter clockwise.  So, you can use left hand or right hand tools in any position and you can simply run the spindle in the direction you need.  By the way, this isn't all that "special" or uncommon there are many lathes who's turrets allow this positioning.

HughesTooling wrote:

There are a lot of places were they are making assumption were there should a "I know what I'm doing option". Like with leads, there are some directions you're not allowed a lead-in\out even though it's what you want and it would work perfectly well.

Agreed and this is one of them!!  When I select a spindle direction the tool should not flip around.  Or at the very least I should be able to toggle a radio button or preference that de-couples that.

I can't state it in more plain language than:  Spindle direction should NOT DICTATE tool orientation.

-Tom

Message 9 of 10
mlangN8XKB

I'm current encountering the same problem. it's imperative the problem is fixed or fusion becomes kinda useless for actual machine shops using traditional slant bed lathes.

I see this post is old and the responses dried up.

I'd like to revive it!

Fusion help where are you?

Message 10 of 10
mlangN8XKB
in reply to: mlangN8XKB

Just solved my own problem. must change to left hand tool if it's a left hand tool.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report