Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice for importing Solidworks files?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jgaertner
1880 Views, 11 Replies

Best practice for importing Solidworks files?

Hello Forum,

I am new to Fusion 360. We have Soldiworks 2014 in the shop. We would like to be able to import files/parts from Solidworks to machine with our CNC mill. I have tried IGES format for my first CNC project but is seems the part required the use of the PATCH command and selecting all the faces of the part to Stitch them together. This was in an earlier post, when I was getting some real weird reaction from Fusion when I tried to drill some holes in CAM.

So are there any guidelines or suggestions people have for importing SolidWorks files? I have searched the archive, but it is pretty thin.

Thanks,

Jgaertner

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
HughesTooling
in reply to: jgaertner

STP should work better and keep solids solid and you have the option to use New Design From File. If you don't mind uploading through the Data Panel you could try uploading the sldprt file.

Clipboard02.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
Steinwerks

I'm with Mark, just upload the .SLDPRT

Last time I tried, even the 2016 format was translating perfectly (although it was not a complex part).
Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 4 of 12
jgaertner

Hello Forum,

So I did import the SW 2014 part into Fusion and everything worked very nicely.

Had a problem with the deep pocket milling strategy, but that is a different issue to pursue.

Thanks for the help!

Jgaertner

Message 5 of 12
mattheworkman

I'm trying the same thing and getting the error that the SW "Version of the file format is not supported"  I don't know what rev level SW the customer is using but I don't want to have to force them to move it to a step file.  This was one of the perks to Fusion 360 that i could open Solid works files. 

Please hit me up with info if you can upload cleanly!!

Message 6 of 12
Steinwerks
in reply to: mattheworkman

Yup, still can't translate SW2017 files.

@al.whatmough is there any insight as to why this isn't working?

Failed.JPG

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 7 of 12
mattheworkman
in reply to: Steinwerks

Good to know.  Client has a deep love of Solidworks so it's no doubt he's got the latest and greatest.   Now I'll have to grovel and tell him that yet again Solidworks has defeated me 😞  ;).  I'll just get him to get me the stp files like a normal human being 😉

Message 8 of 12
Lonnie.Cady

Another option that will probably be frowned on is to use Onshape to open the SW2017 file and export it yourself if you don't want to bother customers.

Message 9 of 12
kb9ydn
in reply to: Lonnie.Cady

@Lonnie.Cady wrote:

Another option that will probably be frowned on is to use Onshape to open the SW2017 file and export it yourself if you don't want to bother customers.

Hey if it works...

But really, his customer should stop being a twit and just send out step files in the first place.  Forcing everyone else to specifically ask for neutral format files is stupid and wastes not only their time but also your own.

C|

Message 10 of 12
mattheworkman
in reply to: kb9ydn

I think a little bit of single format elitism 😞  or SFM as doctors are calling it.  It's the denial that any other format can have any positives... tough times we live in 😉

Message 11 of 12
jeff.pek

I understand that SW 2017 will be supported in the upcoming April update.

Jeff

Message 12 of 12
mattheworkman
in reply to: jeff.pek

Thanks!

--
--------------------------
Matthew Workman
Cell 616-502-1034
--------------------------

><> ><> >)))))>
>))))> ><(((º>
<º)))><
><> ><>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report