Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assy. component posting

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dndpatches
263 Views, 7 Replies

Assy. component posting

Hello,

I am new to Fusion 360, I am familiar with using Inventor. So I created an assembly in Fusion 360 of multiple components and I now want to create tool paths for each of the individual components. I am not sure how to do this? Should have I created the tool path for each component as I created it? I'm sure there is a proper way to do this.

Thanks 

Dave P.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Steinwerks
in reply to: dndpatches

The simplest way is to make sure that the part you are programming is the only one in the Setup. You can simply hide the other components in the assembly while doing this and the CAM will ignore them.

Alternatively if you didn't want that much data in one place you could pull each part into its own assembly file in the project and link it back to the original so any changes will populate automatically. This really depends on how many parts you have to program, of course. If you have 100 I'd probably go this route, but less than ten the other can be much easier.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 3 of 8
novec001
in reply to: Steinwerks

Sorry to bring a semi-unrelated question into a semi-old thread, but how do you "pull each part into its own assembly file in the project and link it back to the original"? It seems like the perfect answer to my headaches, but I can't seem to find out how to do it.

Message 4 of 8
Steinwerks
in reply to: novec001

@novec001 wrote:

Sorry to bring a semi-unrelated question into a semi-old thread, but how do you "pull each part into its own assembly file in the project and link it back to the original"? It seems like the perfect answer to my headaches, but I can't seem to find out how to do it.

I just realized I have no assemblies to test this with! You can drag components from the Data Panel into saved files and use them as referenced components, but I have never tried pulling single components that exist in large assemblies. I'm sure there's a way, I just have to find out how.

I got access to a large assembly that a friend is using to build a 3D printer and so far all the obvious methods are failing. I will keep investigating though and see what I come up with.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 5 of 8
novec001

Thanks! I hope you find out of it. I've got about 20 components to machine out of about 50 total, and that's enough to make it pretty annoying to go back and forth between CAD and CAM to isolate each part I want to work on. I have to admit that I miss having the option of opening components in separate windows, even in design.
Message 6 of 8
dndpatches
in reply to: Steinwerks

Hello,

At the time I posted the question on how to separate tool paths for
individual parts in an assembly I didn't realize I could just hide all of
the components except the one I was creating a tool path for. My work
around at that time was to actuate the component in the assembly I wanted
to work with, and I exported this component to a local file location on my
PC. Then I uploaded this single component back to my project folder in my
data file.
I know now this was not the way to do things but it did work for me at the
time. I hope this is the answer you were looking for?
Dave P.
Message 7 of 8
dndpatches
in reply to: novec001

Hello,
I assume that you did see Steinwerks reply to my original question about
hiding the components in CAM? That procedure works well!
Dave P.
Message 8 of 8
novec001

Isolating the component in CAD before setting up CAM works, but it would be so much quicker and tidier to have a separate part in a separate window. When machining you're just working on one part at a time anyways.

The Fusion 360 team seems to have made a deliberate choice to keep every part of a model confined to one window at all times. That has its drawbacks, but also some clear benefits, and this old NX dog just has to get used to it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums