Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4th axis tool path

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
ejbglobal
163 Views, 3 Replies

4th axis tool path

Hi guys, 

im trying to machine a round bar on my indexer and i am having a hard time, i'm attaching the file here. the first op in on the lathe the second op is on the mill on the 4th axis. i must be doing many things wrong i am sure of that. can anyone take a look and tell me where im going wrong.

Eli. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Steinwerks
in reply to: ejbglobal

The issue with the 3D Adaptive toolpath is the boundary must be closed, but you have the Stock Contours set up perpendicular to the machining axis, so the toolpath fails as it is trying to find something to machine inside what amounts to a 2D line.

A more appropriate method here would be to draw a rectangular boundary to contain the toolpath and select that as the Machining Boundary, and then utilize the Rest Machining function:

Boundary Sketch.JPGBoundary.JPG

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 3 of 4
ejbglobal
in reply to: Steinwerks

Dude you're awesome Thanks, Eli. 

Message 4 of 4
Steinwerks
in reply to: ejbglobal

I will say that nominally the Rest Machining option SHOULD take care of this toolpath without needing a Machining Boundary, but it wants to machine around the entire part even with the accuracy turned way up.

Also I highly recommend you tighten up that accuracy to at least .0005". Smoothing will work better and it will treat the cutter much more nicely when running all-out.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report