Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D contour Roughing

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
trevorJ23GY
301 Views, 4 Replies

2D contour Roughing

Hello all,

I am sure that this is a simple one, but I have to ask.

I am trying to rough out some embossed letters and it only makes sense to use a larger cutter and then a smaller cutter to get into the narrower areas. I have successfully programmed the larger cutter to take the bulk of the material out but when I program the smaller cutter it wants to generate a toolpath for the full area instead of just the remaining material. 

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Depending on the type of operation you are using, there should be an option for "Rest Machining"

2017-03-21_19h19_35.png

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 5

Seth,

Thank you for the prompt reply!

I programmed the toolpath with 2D adaptive roughing and after reading your post noticed that rest machining was not an option there. I did notice it in 2D pocketing but I am not pocketing.

Message 4 of 5

No, but 2D Contour does, and with clever settings you can get it to do what you need. If you ARE looking for an adaptive cutting action, rather than conventional style machining, you would want to use 3D Adaptive and set it to "Rest Machining -From Previous Operations"

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 5 of 5

I was able to successfully program the toolpath by using  3D Adaptive and set it to Rest Machining -From Previous Operations. Thank you for your help !!

I was originally focused on 2D Adaptive because my project is truly 2D in nature so I did not explore the capabilities of the 3D.

Thanks again for the help!!

TC 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report