Dynamo Office Hours - Discovering a New Environment

Comment (13)

Jacob, Sol, and special guest John Pierson explore developing Dynamo tools in an Integrated Development Environment, and dive head-first into creating our very own Zero Touch nodes from scratch! They explore how to configure Visual Studio including the required dependencies needed for reference, what exactly a nuget is and which ones are needed, the user interface, file terminology, and they review how to do your own ‘hello world’ example!

Labels (1)
Event details
Featured Guests
Autodesk Support
Autodesk Support

Autodesk
Autodesk

Related products
13 Comments
josephclee
Contributor

I didn't receive the registration confirmation email after several trials summitting to my office email and personal email.

Hi @josephclee 

I have just sent a message to connect and get you registered. 

Jonathan Hand

Industry Community Manager | AEC (Architecture & Building)

David_W_Koch
Mentor

This was a great presentation.  I definitely need to watch the recording to pick up on all the things my overwhelmed brain missed in the live presentation.  I was expecting this to be far more difficult than John made it seem.  (OK, there is the whole learning C# thing.  I do have some limited experience with Visual Studio as well as experience with programming in general.)

The big question is how do you find time to do this?  On a really good day, I can justify spending some time in Dynamo putting together a simple graph to help speed up a task at work.  But it is hard to find the time to learn how to do the more advanced things, particularly if there is not an immediate work-related use case.

My hat is off to all of those who put in the time and then share that with the rest of us through their packages!

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

I was able to take a little time today and work through some of what John did, based on the screen captures I took.  The summary and input/output tips text did not work, but I am sure I missed about twelve steps that were needed and can review the recording, once it is posted.

Snag_1644840.png

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

So does each Node need its own Class or can one Class have many node definitions?  Based on what I have seen in the library, I am assuming one Class can have many node definitions, but I would like to confirm that.  How does the summary text work in that case?

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Each class can have many functions in it - generally you want to structure the classes the same way you want the node library to be setup; so if you want the library to be organized by 'YourPackage > Revit > Elements > Rooms to have 'GetPlanarSurface' and 'GetCentroidInLoop' in the library you'd have two functions in the one class.

John might have more insights to share on that front, but best to ask on the Dynamo forum as he and other Dynamo developers are more active there.

I was able to create a second string node in my test file (convert input string to upper case, because that has never been done before). 

I was surprised to find that even though I did not program anything to handle inputting a list of strings, it still worked and output a list of strings.  The Watch node did not play nicely, though.  It stayed narrow, and the scroll bar only scrolled down far enough to see the third item on the list.  The last item is cut off.

2-18-1_ZeroTouchTesting01_2023-08-29_05-15-45.png

[I know, take it over to the Dynamo forum.]

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

For what it is worth, the Watch node expanded when fed the results of the out-of-the-box ToUpper node with the same input.

Snag_52434e9.png

Operator error, no doubt.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

As predicted, I missed quite a bit in my notes.  After reviewing the section of the recording where he added descriptions to the input and output, I was able to get it to work on my node.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Schwarz_AAM
Observer

Hi. would you please upload the recording of this presentation / event on youtube soon?

kamu7TNKT
Observer

Hi Autodesk, I would be pleased if you could upload a link for the recorded Webniar. Thanks 🙂

David_W_Koch
Mentor

Will a recording of this session be posted?  As of 2023/08/14, 6:17 PM EDT, there is no link here and no recording on the YouTube Autodesk Community Channel.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Hurray!  The recording is posted.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature