Revit Hints & Hacks – The Life of a Shared Parameter with Donnia Tabor-Hanson

city-scape1.PNG
Comment (11)

Tips & Tricks are too blasé for me that is why we do Hints & Hacks. Let’s follow along with a few Shared Parameters and look at how their lives help out with things like getting things into or out of schedules, view templates, setting colors for in views, and filtering.

Event Recording:

Labels (1)
Event details
  • Thursday, February 24, 2022
  • 08:00 AM PST
  • English (US)
Featured Guests

Collaborator
Collaborator

Related products
11 Comments
Kathryn.Christiansen
Contributor

Does anyone have good sources for "industry standard" shared parameter files, so that any firm or manufacturer doesn't have to completely generate their shared parameters from scratch? 

I put the two I found in comments below.

Thanks y'all,

Donnia Tabor
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

CADMama and Revit Family Counselor
Twitter @DonniaTH

LinkedIn
donnia.tabor-hanson
Collaborator

National BIM Library Shared Parameter file.

https://www.nationalbimlibrary.com/en/nbs-shared-parameters/

Thanks y'all,

Donnia Tabor
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Twitter @DonniaTH

LinkedIn
donnia.tabor-hanson
Collaborator

Found this one online also. 

https://www.bimmepaus.com.au/?s=shared+parameter

I don't know either of these groups so continue to do your research.

Thanks y'all,

Donnia Tabor

EESignature

Twitter @DonniaTH

LinkedIn
donnia.tabor-hanson
Collaborator

This is the session where I shared about the Dynamo that helps load our family parameters into our families for adoption into our library.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/community-conversations/bones-and-ligaments-or-revit-reference-planes...

Thanks y'all,

Donnia Tabor

EESignature

Twitter @DonniaTH

LinkedIn

Highly recommended if you have a situation where you have to add certain shared parameters repeatedly.  Gavin's video does a good job of explaining how it all works.

I have an ongoing project (who has time to finish anything?) to make it easier to get all of my firm's Door parameters into a Door family, so that when we need to make use of a manufacturer's Door family for specialty Doors where we do not already have a family, we can do so and still have it work with our Door Schedule.  There are a lot of parameters, and doing so manually is quite tedious.

I did have issues getting the Orchid package Parameter.AddSharedParameter node to deal with parameters that I wanted to group under different headings.  I worked around that by splitting up my source file into multiple files, each of which only has parameters that go under a single heading, and then processing each file separately.

The Dynamo graphs work well.  The part that remains to be done on my project is to properly document how our Door Schedule system works, how to proceed for different types of Doors (Glazed Doors and Multi-Leaf Doors have additional parameters to be added) and what formula to enter for parameters that have require one.  I will get right on that the next time I have any "free time."

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

GLad to hear you got something from my presentations. You are right, the Orchid is one that has to be download different than others. Then you have to argue with it sometimes.

Thanks for the comment here!

Thanks y'all,

Donnia Tabor

EESignature

Twitter @DonniaTH

LinkedIn
donnia.tabor-hanson
Collaborator

Check out more Hints & Hacks here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autodesk-community-voices/bg-p/voices-blog

Thanks y'all,

Donnia Tabor

EESignature

Twitter @DonniaTH

LinkedIn
donnia.tabor-hanson
Collaborator

Michael, with his Shared Parameter problem, reached out and asked about the visibility of the Share Parameter, when would you turn it off. I found a video by Aussie BIM Guru @gavin.crump that showed well when you might want to hide a parameter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhrpjMhVVpo

Hiding formulas would be great but most of my formulas are with Family Parameters not Shared Parameters but nice to see how to use Visibility in Shared Parameters.

Thanks y'all,

Donnia Tabor

EESignature

Twitter @DonniaTH

LinkedIn
donnia.tabor-hanson
Collaborator
Bring your Revit questions to the Facebook community. I will be answering questions live starting at 2pm EST today for a whole hour.
#ADSKCommunity #Revit #CADMama
Thanks y'all,

Donnia Tabor

EESignature

Twitter @DonniaTH

LinkedIn
donnia.tabor-hanson
Collaborator

As an Autodesk Exert Elite, we are asked to tag our post with #AutodeskExpertElite. Catching up now. 

Thanks y'all,

Donnia Tabor

EESignature

Twitter @DonniaTH

LinkedIn