Ask the Expert with Expert Elite Mike Thomas - Inventor

inventor-banner.PNG
Comment (10)

We are excited to announce that Ask the Experts will be happening again, in a new LIVE format, throughout the upcoming year! Expert Elites from different industries will be answering your questions during these special meetups to help you with technical issues, workflows, and to help you get the most out of your product.

On June 8th, 2021 as Expert Elite Mike Thomas shared his vast knowledge of Autodesk Inventor with you.

This session was also supported by an Autodesk Community host (Chris Benner) as part of Community Conversations - live, virtual events designed to allow you to gain expertise, connect with leaders and grow your community network. 

Use the comments area below to keep the conversation going.  

For more on the Expert Elite program: visit this page: Autodesk Expert Elite Program

To learn more about Community Conversations, including how to become a presenter, link to our Overview.

Back to calendar page

Labels (2)
Event details
  • Tuesday, June 08, 2021
  • 10:00 AM PDT
  • English (US)
Featured Guests
Collaborator
Collaborator

Community Manager
Community Manager

Related products
10 Comments
CGBenner
Community Manager

If you have a question for Mike that you would like to post now, add it to this Comments section!  Thanks!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project

Hi Mike,

A question on revisions of parts, assemblies,drawings in non vault environment? How to control revisions of these files and or should file names contain revisions? We are transitioning from AutoCAD where only one file used to have a revision associated now there is a river and you can start sinking very quickly:potable_water: A small example that could be scaled up including how to retrieve an old version would be great. I know vault is probably the correct way to go but that never happens immediately and in the mean time users are stuck trying to make sense of the situation. 

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
MyshCAD
Observer

Hi Mike. I have 2 qustion on 2020 version. 1) Is it possible rotate view drawing included dimension? 2) When I changed component in assembly, There are move text dimensions in assembly drawings, why?

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) when you rotate a view Inventor maintains the dimensions as is (horizontal, vertical, etc) and then attempts to reassociate them to the geometry. 

Dan S from Autodesk highlighted that if you are using Model Based Definition in the part or assembly and you extract the dimensions from the MBD that if you rotate the view the dimensions will rotate as well.

Mike Thomas

Eide.N
Advocate

Hi Mike,

What are some ways to share Model Based Definitions (3D annotations) with the shop floor (digitally) without using a drawing?

As we discussed on the call your options include:

1. Using Inventor Read-only on the shop floor which they can then view the models natively (no conversion required)
  2. Exporting to DWFx
  3. Exporting to PDF (3D)
Mike Thomas

By using option 1) it is neccesary to add the possibilty in Inventor Read-Only mode to activate AddIns - otherwise it isn´t possible to use this option with PDM (SAP, GAIN, ...)

Markus Schrepfer

I can't comment on SAP, GAIN, or others, but with Vault you do not need the Vault add-in for Inventor to make Inventor Read-Only work in this scenario. As long as the IAM and IPT file associativity on the system are set to Inventor Read-Only, when opening the file from the Vault Thick or Thin (web) client the file opens in a read-only state with Inventor Read-Only.

Perhaps you can achieve the same thing with other PDM systems? In this scenario the goal is not to allow changes, but to simply open the file read-only.

Mike Thomas

To open Assemblies from these PDM, the AddIn has to be activated in Inventor, otherwise I can´t load the whole structure of this assembly. This is an crucial point!!!

The goal not to allow changes is clear to me. I´ll use Inventor Read-Only to view parts and assemblies in Inventor native format.

Efforts need to be made by Autodesk to secure the use of Inventor read-only with other PDM-solutions.

Markus Schrepfer
johnsonshiue
Community Manager

Hi Folks,

For people interested in Inventor API, Inventor Customization forum is a good place to ask questions and get answers. We have quite a few API experts actively reply to users' inquiry.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-customization/bd-p/120

Aside from the tutorials and AU class recordings, here is a good collection of iLogic beginner examples prepared by our Expert Elite Sascha May.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-customization/collection-of-ilogic-models-for-beginners/td-p...

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer