Revit Hints and Hacks: Placeholder Components and Family Request

Placeholder.png

If you are not the family modeler in your company, you may find a need to put something in while waiting for your Revit family to be built. Let me introduce you to The Placeholder! He just holds the spot until your modeler can get to your family request. 

Your placeholder should be the same category of family as the one you are needing. With a door family you can just put in any door but what if you had one called “Placeholder”? Same for a window. They could be a very plain model to hold the spot for the one required. How about a piece of equipment? Do you do furniture? Well, since I am in Food Service Consulting, I need kitchen equipment which is usually a Specialty Equipment piece. Whatever it is you may need to wait for, get you a placeholder family.

The placeholder needs to be something that can have types set so ours has a lot of parameters set to instance except the width, depth, and height. This way whoever uses it needs to create a type for that size by just duplicating the original, then they can put in all the schedule info including manufacturer, model, utilities, Item number, comments, etc. that they need. It can be tagged, and it goes into the schedule.

donniataborhanson_0-1649849991307.png

After that you need to send in a Family Request. If you have not set one up, do so. It needs to give the modeler everything they need to know about the model. Do you have a manufacturer, model, any utilities, item number, materials, options, etc. If you don’t have a formal request, start one. You can do a form of some sort and have a way of getting it to the modeler.

Briefly, ours is a form that fills out a Smartsheet with all the required information including every option for a schedule in our projects. There is a place to attach any specs, pdfs, dwg, and even rfa files. Get your modeler all that you can so they have a better chance of getting the family turned around to you quickly.

donniataborhanson_1-1649849991333.png

Donnia Tabor-Hanson aka CADMama