Add-in recommendations for Revit

Add ins.png

The other day I was working on cleaning up a Revit model file.  I found a lot of Detail Groups inspect.  117 of them, each with a very descriptive naming structure, Group 1, Group.4, I really needed to find each location in the views and determine if it was needed, did a detail component need to be made, or if was there a detail component available to use and thus replace the group with it.  I have a slew of Revit Add-ins at my disposal to have me find the detail groups.  The example below is from the Ideate Explorer tool.

RBeckerbauer_0-1677687718063.png

This tool as well as numerous other ones I tried such as PyRevit, IMAGINiT, CTC Tools, DiRoots, and even the updated CASE tools (thank you John Pierson) kept coming up with the same message.

RBeckerbauer_1-1677687739504.png

What was left to do?   I put out a chat message asking for advice both internally at MG2 and externally. One of the best parts of being part of DTECH at MG2 is that I have smart people to ask for help from.  Monica Conley at MG2 came back with this AWESOME Revit hack to force Revit to do the work for me.  Thank you, Monica, for giving me this hack.

As a seasoned Revit user, it is Exciting to learn new things and then share them with others.  Many of you already know this hack but I didn't, and I am going to share it with those out there who don't.

Here is what you do.

1. Open a working view.
  2. Drag the detail item/group into the view.  This allows you to have one copy for reference at the end.
  3. Select the Detail Item and/or Group.  In this case, I did it from the Project Browser.
  4. Right-click > Select All Instances > In Entire Project
  5. Use the shortcut keystroke "GP" to attempt to make a group.
  6. This error message should pop up. 

RBeckerbauer_5-1677687906800.png

7. Click on Expand

8. Select the Error Message you want to look at.

9. Click on Show

RBeckerbauer_6-1677688006386.png

10.The view will open, and you can now deal with the Detail Item/Group.

11. Once done repeat all the other error messages.

12. In the working view, select the item/group.

13. Right-click > Select All Instances > In Entire Project

14. Select Delete

15. Now in the project browser select the detail item/group

16. Right Click and select Delete

17. Repeat as necessary.

Even a seasoned Revit user can learn something.  Hopefully, you have as well, if so go out and teach someone else and make the Revit/BIM world better.  Once again, thank you Monica Conley for teaching me something new.

2 Comments