Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XDref point support for Excel file

XDref point support for Excel file

It would be nice to have your civil 3D points linked to an excel file instead of access file (mdb).

First, its easy to manage excel file and you can bring in the formatting with it.

Also, instead of just 2 fields override (point elevation & description), make it multiple overrides (text, number strings) so you can build your own point labels with all this overrides coming in from external data (excel or access).

This format is good use for presenting chemical data results for each point location.

Thanks and please vote...

Thanks,

Ben

6 Comments
pmascaro
Advocate

Hi Ben,

I'm currency using survey databases to manage my chemical data project wide in Civil 3D. It's very handy, but it is the same tedious process...

To do this I have to do the following

• export sample location point data from GIS or main data repository to Excel
  • save as space delimited or comma delimited file with no headers
  • setup a project specific user defined point classifications in the “Survey User-Defined” group that matches the attribute headers for my data
  • setup a project specific point file format so I can import the data into my survey database
  • go back to my 'Survey User-Defined' property class group and delete the duplicate user deified groups because the import creates new ones associated with the survey point with the same name
  • Now I have a database in Civil 3D that I can use on multiple drawings that is dynamic.

Note, your point label styles will have to be updated to recognize the survey cogo points as they have a prefix to them. eg. from <[Matrix(CP)]> to <[point.Matrix(CP)]> or you can just delete the on that's in there and replace it with the new one and it will come in with 'point.'

Just some things that I've learned the hard way that may help your workflow...

It’s not pretty, but it works, and as you can see it’s quite a processes and making updates in both directions is just as tedious, but it does provide for a project wide solution that will allow you to query in the points you need for a specific drawing.

pmascaro
Advocate

BTW, this is a great idea. I hope it gains traction. You may also like some of my ideas, I'll share them in your post.

pmascaro
Advocate

Automatic User-Defined Point Style and Point File Formats from headers on import  

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideas/automatic-user-defined-point-style-and-point-f...

pmascaro
Advocate
pmascaro
Advocate

Update the Point Editor/PANORAMA to work like a data table with query options.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideas/update-the-point-editor-panorama-to-work-like-...

pmascaro
Advocate

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report