Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undo Buffer: "Group of Commands" = USELESS

Undo Buffer: "Group of Commands" = USELESS

When looking at the undo buffer and trying to decide how far back I need to go, "Group of Commands" is about as helpful as a bucket with no water in a sinking boat.

C3DUndoBuffer.png

18 Comments
joantopo
Mentor

I would like the same behaviour like Microstation about the Undo and Redo commands.

MicroStation has the "View Previous" or "View next" buttons to recover the previous or next zoom.

Moreover, it has the traditional comands "undo" (Ctrl+Z) and "Redo" (Ctrl+R), but they are just for operations such as adding a new element, changing layer,...

f you use AutoCAD, undo and redo will also affect the view control. But not in MicroStation.

doni49
Mentor

My first inclination was to think that this would require a complete re-write to the code.  But it seems like it COULD be done if they were to change the undo command so that when you run it, all view commands are ignored and it would skip down to the last NON-VIEW command.

For example given the following series of commands, you would be left with a single line in the file and the view would still show the same as it did after the zoom window.

Place Line, Place Line, Zoom Extents, Zoom Window, Place Circle, Undo, Undo

dgorsman
Consultant

Not from what I've seen.  Changing the view is committing a transaction on the database, while an UNDO operation rolls back a transaction.  You can't directly skip over transactions when rolling them back as each one is expecting the changes in state to be sequential (A => B, B => C, C => D must be rolled back as D => C, C => B, B => A).  It would be the same reason as for not being able to discretely UNDO the addition of a line to the drawing several operations back without stepping through the other transactions between.

The UNDO operation would have to store the current view, roll back the transactions to the desired point, then commit a new transaction to push the stored view.  All of that is in the core AutoCAD procedures, and I'm uncertain if it can be overridden cleanly in a vertical product considering all of the other operations which would take an UNDO into account.

doni49
Mentor

"helpful as a bucket with no water in a sinking boat."

Well now THAT kinda ruined the effect!  I meant to say a "helpful as a bucket with no bottom in a sinking boat."  DOH!Smiley Embarassed

troma
Mentor

Reminds me of this one:

"Bad command or filename" is about as useful as "If you don't know what you did wrong I'm not going to tell you!"

fcernst
Mentor

Have the software Skip all the little Intellizooms when executing  UNDO and just get to the previous commands. This is tedious to deal with all day long.

rkmcswain
Mentor

What version are you using? Zooms and Pans have been combined in Undo and Redo for some time now, since version 2006.

http://themadcadder.blogs.com/my_weblog/2005/09/combine_zoom_an.html

fcernst
Mentor

I'm using 2018.

Try drawing a polyline, then zoom and pan around a few times, then draw a second polyline, and zoom and pan around a bit.

Then see  how many times you have to hit "U" on the keyboard to remove the first polyline.

Draw a polyline Capture.JPG

DeeusJayus-ISX
Advocate

Undo-Zoom.JPG

fcernst
Mentor

Yes, I have that checked. It was actually checked by default with the 2018 installation.

So, you don't have a bunch of little zooms to go thorough when using the undo command?

I wonder if it's a bug in 2018?

DeeusJayus-ISX
Advocate

I do have the zoom box Checked, and I do go through the little zooms. Personally, it doesn't bother me. I prefer it over Microstation's lack of it. It allows me to see what I'm undoing.

fcernst
Mentor

You have to be kidding me... It is incredibly annoying and inefficient.

So checking the box is obviously not working as advertised.

rkmcswain
Mentor

This is how it works for me - using your steps above.

undoaction.gif

fcernst
Mentor

Thanks, but that's not how we won't this to perform.

We want to hit "U" only twice at the command line to Undo the first polyline.

Skip all the "Group Commands"..(and in my case in 2018, all the little Intellizooms).

rkmcswain
Mentor

Well, you are sort of in the right place but the Civil guys have zero control over this, since this is core AutoCAD functionality.   But, on the other hand there is no AutoCAD Ideastation....

If you have not dropped them a note here, do so. I know they read this input..

rkmcswain
Mentor

Note: I just spoke with one of our users this morning, and he showed me an example where excessive "Group of command" entries were being added to the undo stack. He repeated the same set of commands on two sessions of C3D 2017 side-by-side (the drawings were different), and one of them introduced a dozen or so "Group of Command" entries, where the other session did not.

There is certainly something going on here. I don't know if it's related to your original complaint or something else. I thought this was fixed in 2014.

fcernst
Mentor

This bug has now been documented as defect CIVIL-20579

andreipastushuk
Explorer

AutoCAD greatly suffers from it's most characteristic feature/bug: it undoes navigation steps (haphazardly), mixed with undoing editing steps. This is very annoying. These undo queues have to be totally separated, with different hotkeys:

1) editing

2) selection

3) navigation

If it gets implemented, AutoCAD will become a significantly better product.

Tags (4)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report