Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface - Set the style to be used for ''create profile from surface''

Surface - Set the style to be used for ''create profile from surface''

It would be cool if in a surface properties you could set the default style to be use when making a profile from the surface.

I know my FG will always (or 99% time) use my FG profile style

I know my EG will always (or 99% time) use my EG profile style

I know my ''something'' will always (or 99% time) use my ''something'' profile style.

Right now for every profiles I have to always set the correct style. This gets annoying when you have many profiles for intersections and to check cross pipes.

It would always be super easy to set. In the create surface dialog box, simply add another line: Style for profile (or another name like that)

and you could change that in the surface properties 🙂

19 Comments
doni49
Mentor

Rather than a property of the surface, I'd make it a property of the Surface Style.  If the surface is set to use the EG style, then a profile cut from the surface would use the EG Profile style.

jeffl
Advocate

I'm with doni49!!  They could do the same for cutting sections.

Simon_Blain
Advocate

I'd prefer it my way because of the way my styles are set but hey if they do it this way, I'll simply adjust my styles so it works 🙂

to add to my idea: they could also make it so it's a ''surface properties'' or ''surface style'' that defines the default labels for the profiles

lambertb
Collaborator

I might lean towards surface property. I change styles in design files a lot but I also cut my existing ground profile as EG. It is a pain when I cut profiles from multiple surfaces and each time I have to change the style because it only has 1 default.

Do we want to include offset profile style defaults?

Simon_Blain
Advocate

Why not 🙂

Could have 1 default for left and 1 for right, if you have more than 1 offset on a side you could change that one manually (which should not happen too often)

Neilw_05
Mentor

I would favor assigning a profile style vs. using a surface style. To use a surface style you would have to include a profile style in the surface style settings. That would require a lot of extra management overhead to keep surface styles and profile styles synchronized.

Simon_Blain
Advocate

Neilw, what do you mean by assigning a profile style ? To assign a default profile style in a surface properties ? 

If so, I'm with you as I said, I think like you said it'll be easier to manage compared to using surface styles.

Neilw_05
Mentor

I think I misunderstood the suggestions. I was thinking the users would select a surface style in the sampling options and the profile style would be determined from the surface style. I realize now that what is needed is a few more default settings in the Sample Surface command. Perhaps a setting for FG surface, a setting for offsets, a reference surface, etc. Then in the default settings the user can specify which profile style to use for those surfaces. When sampling surfaces, the user selects one of the preset defaults in the dialogue for each surface.

Simon_Blain
Advocate

This would help but what I want can go even further I think.

It'll look this way: 

Surface-Properties.JPG

The profile style options would be taken from the normal choices you have when selecting a profile style. So when you create a surface profile from this surface it default to this style (can be changed). So could also set the default profile labels when making your profile view.

These could be set when creating a new surface (you can set the surface style when making a new surface so why not add 2 more option for default profile and profile label styles in there)

The surface properties could also contain a « Default offset profile from surface style (one for right side and one for left side) could even add labels also.

What's cool is that this only sets the default, if when making your profile / profile view you wanna change this, you still can 🙂 but at least it'll be ok 99% time.

Neilw_05
Mentor

Then I did understand it correctly the first time. So using your suggestion, we would have to apply a profile style to every surface style. That process gets repeated for every surface style. If you need multiple standards (i.e. different clients) you'll have to repeat that entire process for each set of standards. Also you will need to keep surface styles synchronized with profile styles should either styles change or evolve. It is far simpler to just have a few common defaults available in the CreateSurfaceProfile command and manually deal with any outliers that don't fit.

Simon_Blain
Advocate

This isn't a surface style, it's in the surface properties.

the surface style chosen for your surface will have 0 impact on the profile style.

lambertb
Collaborator

In surface properties, you would be able to choose the default profile style when using the Create Surface Profile command and sampling said surface.

Neilw_05
Mentor

I see now. That is another way to achieve the goal.

dkinnearBUV5J
Advocate

I would just like to bump this up, and add that I too would opt for the Default Profile Style to be set in the Surface Properties.  I may have multiple dummy surfaces for various objectives all set to _No Display, but would want them to have different styles in a profile.  Doing it by style would still cause me to have to change the style when creating the surface profile.  I'd also like to throw out that this should be an option when first creating/referencing the surface, just like setting the style for the surface, the render material, etc.  It seems simple enough to do.

lambertb
Collaborator

I am sure there is nothing users like more than sampling 6 surfaces and having them take the default style from settings, then reassigning the surfaces with styles that are accurate. If the surface had the default style instead of the settings that would be great. 

surfaces.png

Neilw_05
Mentor

I use Bentley Geopak. Geopak allows you to save profile sampling "sets". So you could select numerous surfaces, apply the styles to them and save the settings as a set. Then when you go to create profiles you just load the set and all of them populate the dialogue. It makes the process much more efficient when sampling for many alignments.

lambertb
Collaborator

So anything in the idea board progress beyond Gathering Support?

I am reminded everytime I cut surface profiles or cross sections as to why can't surfaces have a default display style?

lambertb
Collaborator

Any news? Or a dead topic?

Simon_Blain
Advocate

No news 😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report