Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface link that can drape to surface between 2 nodes: Subassembly Composer

Surface link that can drape to surface between 2 nodes: Subassembly Composer

Right now, with a surface link, you have to specify a certain offset (or override with target parameters), target surface etc. You cannot just simply, like a normal link, specify two nodes.

I would like to be able to use a link that you specify two nodes and a target surface. The link will then drape automatically (either with predefined amount of nodes or automatically) to the surface with virtual nodes. This will allow for irregular sub bases or any non-uniform layer.

The current surface link makes it very difficult to close shapes with defined nodes.

8 Comments
Simon_Blain
Advocate

If by nodes you're talking about points. So you use 2 points for your surface links.

In the start X and end X, simply entere P1.X (P for point, 1 for the number of the point, AP1 if it's auxiliary point 1)) and your surface link will follow the X from the point and the Y from the surface 🙂

see https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/...

for more info

stephenHFBUE
Contributor
@Simon_Blain

That is 100%. The problem therein lies that shapes cannot then be assigned links like that, unless I am missing something because the shape cannot be closed according to assembly? I have not been able to assign a shape to closed links if the one is a surface link or if there is a line intersecting a line within the shape.

Simon_Blain
Advocate

I was able to add a shape (didn't test inside civil 3d, only inside SAC) by addind 0.001 meter to my leftmost point and substracting 0.001 meter to my rightmost one (for the surface link) and adding links between my *normal* points and the surface link points. You might not even need the 0.001 difference from your points. Just the additionnal links.

See image, the Cyan Links are your normals links and points (p1 to p4)

You make p5 and p6 using method abose (ex.: P1.Y+0.001) 

afterwards you can make a link from p1 to p5 (and p4 to p6)

I was able to make a shape with all the links afterwards.

See if that works for you 🙂

SURF-LINK.png 

stephenHFBUE
Contributor

Exactly my point. Why is it necessary to struggle like that to find a "work-around"? In the case you propose above, I would like to specify P6 and P5 on the surface and put a link between the two and make it a surface link and be able to put those added links in as well. Not have to battle with getting it to work by adding and subtracting 0.001. My idea was just to add an a feature to the program that allows you to work with a surface link like a normal link with the only difference being that it is draped on the target surface.

Simon_Blain
Advocate

I agree with your idea, was just trying to help you find a workaround because your idea will not be implemented for a long while 😉

stephenHFBUE
Contributor

Yeah, the Autodesk ship is a slow turning one.

sadirov91
Participant

problem.png

sadirov91
Participant
Hello, how can we solve this problem?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report