Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Edit - Modify Points by polyline option

Surface Edit - Modify Points by polyline option

When you have to edit a Surface's points (via the Surface Edit - Modify Points command) we currently have to select the TIN points one at a time.  Back in the LDD days, we had 2 options for selecting points we want to edit (either one point at a time or by selecting a polyline that encapsulates a number of points).  Can we please bring this functionality back?

Thanks!

4 Comments
M_c3d
Advisor

Whilst you can't select a polyline (i think that is a good idea) you can change multiple by selecting them via dragging a window over them.

Mike.M.Carlson
Advisor

@M_c3d Yep totally agree and thank you for voting for this.  

In the old days, (using LDD) I used this surface edit option to create dynamic topsoil stripping surfaces that were set up with a combination of the following:  Create a blank “shell” surface and paste an existing ground surface into it.  Then I would add non destructive polylines at a 0.1’ offset from each other to the surface definition for planned grading areas.  Finally, I would modify the surface points within the inner-most boundary and lowered them 6” or 8” depending on the topsoil depth we knew of.  It was nice and much quicker back then to just select the inner polyline (used as non destructive) to select/edit all the TIN points...it made a nice step down or striped feature I could use to compare against design grading surface that factors out topsoil stopped and staged.  

Thanks again for reviewing my idea.

Mike

M_c3d
Advisor

Thats a fair point.

But why not just have no points inside and then add a featureline as a breakline with 0.1 offset and lowered to suit? It would achieve the same visual and level effect. I do this with retaining walls at landscape areas.

Mike.M.Carlson
Advisor

Yep that would work too.  I usually found engineers wanting an exact offset down from the existing ground surface.  The method I was describing earlier would capture all the existing topographic undulation at the given offset.  Although, I concede in practical construction terms it would be difficult to exactly match EG at a perfect offset in the field.  

Thanks again for your feedback..  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report