Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Civil Constructions: HDD, Pressing, Microtunnelling

Special Civil Constructions: HDD, Pressing, Microtunnelling

I work in special branch of civil construction where we design crossings underneath geographical and infrastructure features.  We design Horizontal Directional Drillings, pipe pressings, and microtunnelings, for a wide range of different infrastructure needs.  For example, high-voltage electrical cable crossings underneath highways or rivers, inside protective PVC pipes, or pressed tunnel crossings carrying multiple utilities inside large diameter concrete pipes.

I use Civil 3D to create these drawings, although, the tools in Civil are honestly not quite perfectly suited to our specialty.  Creating non-parabolic vertical profile curves for HDD for example, can be done, but is not as simple as it could be.

Where I really start to have a problem though, is when we get deeper into BIM projects.  What I draw is not a gravity pipe, or a pressure pipe, we don't use manholes...my objects don't fit into any of these categories, and I struggle with the question, how to draw in plan and in profile, and define objects correctly, when my dark little corner of engineering seems to have been overlooked.

4 Comments
TimYarris
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Thank you for posting your idea. We've heard similar requests (typically wanting to model duct banks and the like). I've heard some customers using either gravity pipe networks (with null structures) or a corridor model with a custom subassembly to model the utility.

Have you tried either of these options?

JLSchmitz
Explorer

Hi!  Thanks for the positive response.  No, I haven't heard of those options, I'll have to give them a try.

We're just starting to get into BIM projects where these types of objects come into play, and there is no easy workflow.  We create the conduit pipes as swept 3D-Solids, and then bring them into Revit to assign the appropriate categories and attributes.

JLSchmitz
Explorer

@TimYarris  I thought I'd go ahead and post a little update on my suggestion.

The question arises if Civil is really the right tool to model the things we need to model...for structures like sheet pile trench boxes and the like, I tend to think a Revit Family would be the way to go.  But for the tunnels themselves, the ability to visualize and design the thing in a Profile View is essential.  If I could only have the ability to draw PVC pipes with vertical curves and export them as 3D solids (the way I can with gravity pipes), that would be fantastic.  I've figured out how to assign Parameter Sets to the 3D objects in Civil and that's super helpful. 

The problem with modelling the conduits with sweep is that you first have to draw the 3D Polyline path...with a gravity pipe network, the program does that heavy lifting for you (you only have to worry about two dimensions at a time!)

TimYarris
Autodesk

Thanks for the update, @JLSchmitz . Did you ever get to try the custom subassembly/corridor workflow for this? Might be an interesting thing to experiment with.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report