Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show glyph where label contents have been overridden

Show glyph where label contents have been overridden

If the contents of a label are overridden, there is no easy way to know. This can be problematic. When a design change occurs, an overridden label may not show the most current design intent.

Civil3D should mark overrides with a glyph or show as a different color.

labeloveride.png

27 Comments
joantopo
Mentor
C3D_TomR
Collaborator

I could have used this feature earlier this week when I was brought into a project that was already in progress and had some overwritten label styles of which I wasn't aware.

Hammer.john.j
Advocate

This is a big deal when you have legacy drawings from 5 years ago civil 3d and do not recall that some person in another office overwrote all the labels manually and the labels don't update....... nobody condones this type of stuff but also, autodesk isn't helping us find it quickly and this legacy stuff goes on for years and will as long as governments manage projects, lol.

Would this be something that is always displayed or a command that would turn it on and off? Would it be useful to plot it?

Regards,

Peter Funk

Sr Product Manager

Civil 3D

Autodesk, Inc.

kevinjackman
Advocate
Hi Peter, I'd like to see this functionality included as a system variable: 0 = off 1 = visible onscreen, without printing 2 = visible onscreen, with printing I would not want this to be controlled via the label style. That would complicate things too much. Thanks!
joantopo
Mentor

I think that it could be within the label style.

A new component.

Similar that the warm symbols for alignment or profiles if there is some infraction about design criteria or Design check set.

14.jpg

It could be a warning symbol next to the label content.

joantopo
Mentor

Sorry.

I agree with @kevinjackman about this:

"That would complicate things too much. Thanks!"

It´s better a system variable then.

or  system variable overrides the "warning symbol" in the label style.. jajaja.

I'm with Jack on this one. I like the three position switch for hide, show, plot. I'm not a fan of having something in every label style that you would have to turn on.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc

Status changed to: Future Consideration

Status changed to: Accepted

TimYarris
Autodesk

I wonder if the glyphs to indicate label overrides could be controlled in the same manner as the alignment and profile glyphs, where toggling them off in Options turns them all off. Would leveraging that same control be acceptable? I imagine it would, unless there are cases where you do want to see label override glyphs, but not design criteria glyphs (or vice versa). 

So my question is: would tying label override glyphs to the Solution Tips controls be acceptable?

SolutionTips.PNG

kevinjackman
Advocate

Hi Tim, I think tying label override glyphs to the Solution Tips controls would work.

C3D_TomR
Collaborator

That could work since I don't foresee a need for the setting being controlled on a per label style basis.

Tom Richardson

joantopo
Mentor
Status changed to: Implemented

This feature was implemented as pointed out above in Civil 3D 2017 Service Pack 1. There is a good write-up here: 

joantopo
Mentor

I don't understand why checkbox is for ALL glyphs.. if you want to see glyphs about alignment violations or profile violations BUT you don't want to see glyphs about labels which text is oveeriden,... you can't.

We didn't want to introduce or change a system variable every time a new solution tip is introduced.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

kevinjackman
Advocate

Thanks to you and the team for implementing this feature Peter. Much appreciated.

joantopo
Mentor

@peterfunkautodesk , but at least customized glyph according to the type of notification, not every glyph always in a "i" symbol in orange color..

Cadguru42
Advisor

I'm with others on this issue. It's great that now there's a way to know if a label has been overwritten, but tying it to the global info wasn't a good move. The design warning glyphs are great on alignments and profiles, but on an information object, such as a C3D label, it doesn't make since to have them treated the same. 

For instance, I have an alignment station/offset label that's got a placeholder called <DESCRIPTION> where the user can edit the label to add their own text while keeping the label similar to all the others. This change will make warning icons show up on all these labels even though there's nothing wrong them. If I turn the warnings off, I no longer can tell if an alignment or profile have issues. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report