Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Points Manually

Setting Points Manually

On a major project a CAD Tech. will end up having to "calc" up to 2500 - 3000 points ranging from Property Corners, Silt Fences, Back of Curbs Offsets, Edge of Pavement, Top of Bank, Toe of Slope, Water Main, Sanitary Main, Force Main to Storm Drainage etc..... Being that all these points typically have their designated "Layer" and Label Style", wouldn't it save time to have a separate pulldown or menu system within the "Create Points", so that when you need to set 10 of these type points and 25 of those type, then switch to setting a 100 of a different type the "Layer" and Label Style"would be predetermined for such type within your saved template. This would allow you to set the elev, desc. or any other parameter and keep on setting points.

8 Comments
qnologi
Advisor

This is from an earlier Post:

Is there any way to set points manually, using the "Action Recorder" under the "Manage" pulldown? I'd like to "Record" my actions, then via the name I've given to this procedure, be able to set a point with the those parameters I've set forth, via the name given, only thing is, that when I try to "Record" the next action of setting a different point manually, with a different Layer and Style it overrides the previous "Recorded" macro.

I merely wanted to see if anyone knew how to save, or "Record" the tedious function of choosing the current "Layer", "Description" and the desired "Label Styles" for each type calced "Point", so that when I choose this given name from the (macro) pulldown, it would bring up the "Create Point" menu and already have these steps saved, or "Recorded" if you will, so all I would have to do is choose what "Point Number" I'd like and an elevation if needed and set "Points Manually" quickly and easily.

Has anyone been able to do such a thing with the "Action Recorder" command, or for that matter, wanted to in the first place?

I use "Description Keys", and as for "Point Groups", I use these as well, none of which are beneficial when setting a "Manual Point", other than it's "Point Description" pushing it to a "Point Group". What I was trying to do, was save some steps when setting a "Manual Point" by having the "Action Recorder" save the "Layer" and "Label Styles" as needed for each type "Point" I need to set. Only thing is, after "Recording" my actions, upon looking within the "Command Tree" pulldown, it would only "Record" the function of "Create Points" with the same "Layer" and "Label Styles" for each and every "Recorded" macro, yet with a different name.

You hit the nail on the head... "needless automation".

Having to choose the "Layer" and "Label Styles" for every type "Manual Point" set, each and every time, gets a bit tiresome, so I only "assumed" there would be a much simpler way, being, to have the "Action Recorder" have these setting chosen "before hand" so that when I wanted to set a "Manual Point", all I would need to do is go to the macro pulldown, choose the type "Point to be set" as such, having these setting already "predetermined" and only need to set the Number Range, Elevation and Description, if not set to "Automatic.

It's not that I'm worried that I'll forget to set these beforehand, it's that I would like to have a more streamlined approach to setting a "Manual Point" is all.

It's OK, I'll wait until Autocad caters more to the Surveying side of things.

jmayo-EE
Mentor

Description keys will do just what you are wishing for. The create points menu/toolbar is already there. Create Points manual is the command. If a description key is defined in the current description key set AND your template is set to match description keys then the point goes to the correct layer, gets the correct symbol and correct label style. Point Groups will read the point descriptors and populate automatically. The groups can then be used to over-ride labels and/or symbols if needed.

qnologi
Advisor

I retract my "Idea" and would like thank jmayo for pointing out that I still have a lot to learn.

Thank you. (kudos).

TLQ Smiley Wink

I still think this wish is valid. There is still a problem of picking the correct, or a standard, descritption. A dropdown/autofill text box would be handy instead of having to type in something originally each time. 

BlackBox_
Advisor
How about Autodesk actually make Civil Objects behave like every other AutoCAD Object or Block (as a generalization)?

Pre-configure a COGO Point, or Assembly, and drag it onto a Tool Palette, anyone?

Click on the COGO Elevation value in Properties Pane, and be able to immediately type the new elevation without clicking a second time, or hitting Esc to highlight the whole value?

Oh, I don't know, edit the assigned Point Style via context menu (or the Point Group's Point Style if set as Default?), without having to go into Point Group Properties?

Maybe be able to Create/Edit Description Keys by selecting one or more COGO Points via context menu, culling the manual assignments for same as Key Properties?

Civil 3D has been out for how many years (a decade?), and we _still_ cannot Copy+Paste a COGO Point from one drawing into another without causing a major error?

It's pretty sad, the state of things - I have yet to see any of those Subscription dollars paying off, no wonder they're experiencing record profit loss, even after the recent layoffs.

Sent from my iPhone
troma
Mentor

@BlackBox_ +1 on most of that.

You should post all as separate ideas if possible. Smiley Happy

As for this:

Click on the COGO Elevation value in Properties Pane, and be able to immediately type the new elevation without clicking a second time...

Rather than clicking on the actual elevation value, have you tried clicking to the left, on the text where it says "Point Elevation"?

When you do, it's one click only and start typing immediately.

But of course, they should still fix it for consistency. 

BlackBox_
Advisor

Thanks, @troma - that is kind of you to say, and I appreciate your suggestion(s). 

As to editing COGO Elevation in Properties Pane, the behavior you describe is not what I experience -

Firstly, with a new COGO Point (no elevation entered at creation), I select the resultant COGO Point, and the Properties Pane shows *PROPERTY NOT SET* (which is expected). The (albeit intermittent) problem is, that my cursor is no longer visible, nor usable until I click somewhere, or pan (middle button).  Only then, can I access the Properties Pane.  I have this icursor issue though, with many C3D Objects, not just COGO.

With that out of the way, clicking anywhere on *PROPERTY NOT SET* highlights the whole value.

Once the value has been changed, a single click to the left, center, or right side of said value always results in the cursor being placed to the left of the value (nothing highlighted at all), leaving me to have to either double click again, hit Esc, or hit Shift+End... Ctrl+A doesn't even work.

Deselecting the COGO with the elevation value changed, and reselecting it, single clicking in the elevation value prompts for *PROPERTY NOT SET*, which is fine, but should you select it (removing the elevation), subsequent attempts to restore/replace the elevation value are not observed until you again deselect the COGO, and reselect it to modify in kind.

Cheers

troma
Mentor

I'm working in 2013. I don't have the problem with the cursor not being visible (so far as I've noticed for this command at least).

It behaves the same as you say when the value is set to *PROPERTY NOT SET*

But please try this again, for the occasion when the elevation value is set. (Also works when it isn't.)

Don't click on the elevation value (left centre or right of it).

Click even further left, over on the text where it says the name of the value: "Point Elevation"

It doesn't work if you click on the value first. Don't click on the value at all, just one single click on the name of the value.

In 2013 at least, it works for all the numerical values in the Properties Pane for a cogo point.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report