Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

read only option

read only option

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Autodesk make Read-Only an option that you can set for a default option for Autocad LT. I don't like the lack of capabilities of Trueview so for our Engineers and Designers LT is the better option. I just want to be able to set the LT up to be able to open read only either by them opening a dwg from inside the program or by double clicking in windows explorer. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring that ability into Autocad LT

7 Comments
BlackBox_
Advisor

Not sure if there even is an AutoCAD LT 'ideas' forum, but to your request -

*IF* I understand you correctly, this is an IT issue, that can easily be implemented by making your drawing folders read-only through Active Directory / NTFS for certain Security Groups or Users.

As an example:

An 'Engineers' Security Group can be made read-only for the ..\Drawings\ project folder(s), whereas a 'Design CAD Users' and 'Survey CAD Users' Security Groups can simultaneously be granted modify access, etc. to the same folder.

HTH

doni49
Mentor

Check to see if there is a command line option to start in READ-ONLY mode (something like "ACAD.EXE /R").  If there is, you could make a simple registry modification such that double-clicking a dwg file in Explorer will use that command line entry.

smurrin
Contributor

BlackBox_,

Thanks for the reply. So if I have my admin do that permissions thing on the server, is it still just one set of drawings and folders.....ie when myself and my cad designers access the files/folder in question we can modify them but when the engineers access those same folders they only have the read-only option available to them? Smiley Happy

smurrin
Contributor

doni49

Also thanks for your reply as well. So what you are saying is to check the program shortcut and see if I can set that up there to put the "/R" behind the exe file

BlackBox_
Advisor

@smurrin -

That is correct; one data set, multiple account-based layers of access. 

Separately, the /R switch is depreciated, and originally for the default pointing device. More on startup switches here:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2016/ENU/?guid=GUID-8E54B6EC-5B52-4F62-B7FC-0D4E1EDF093A

Cheers

BlackBox_
Advisor

DYAC!

Depreciated == Deprecated

smurrin
Contributor

lol, i knew whatcha meant Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report