Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provide Clearer Error Messages in Various Parts of the Software

Provide Clearer Error Messages in Various Parts of the Software

Civil 3D Error messages can be very vague - in particular, I'm referring to Surfaces, but I'm sure there are other locations as well.

Here are a few issues I continually see and I hear others seeing too:

Adding Boundaries to Surfaces

• There's only one error message that appears - "Error adding boundary"
  • The top reasons I encounter: Boundary with the same name already exists in the surface, polyline boundary is not closed, polyline boundary has intersections, polyline boundary falls directly on top of the boundary of a data referenced surface resulting in cutting the entire surface out - needs to be offset a small distance.
  • Of course there are additional reasons that could be unknown in which at that point a generic error message could appear.

Pasting Surfaces

• There's only one error message that appears - "Error pasting surface"
  • Top reason I encounter: Circular surface reference (IE: A grading group targets the Surface A, then a user tries to paste the Grading Group surface into another surface with Surface A pasted into it as well).
  • Again, there are additional reasons that could be unknown in which at that point a generic error message could appear.

If anyone has additional, please comment.

2 Comments
joantopo
Mentor

The  report message:" value on wrong side of alignment or profile width alignment" when you are making a corridor, usually appears continuously.

It is not very clear what the report message refers.

And sometimes, this report message is thrown, an other times (without touching anything of the corridor) is not.

redtransitconsultants
Collaborator

Here's another one...

When you need to adjust the rim elevation of a Pipe Network Structure and it won't adjust. It seems it won't adjust beyond a certain elevations - but why? Clearly Civil 3D knows why - it just doesn't tell you why - it just won't do it. I know why - but 75% of my users don't know why... thus there should be a message that says "Structure elevation cannot be adjusted to that value as there is insufficient clearance in the structure to the top of one of the pipes connected to it"... or something like that.

Instead we have no message and a lot of confused users.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report