Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe label attachment in Profile

Pipe label attachment in Profile

We need to get additional attachment options for labels added to pipes in a profile view.
These options should not be global for the whole drawing, but within the style. Each style of label is required to attach to a different place.

I suggest these options at a minimum:
On the pipe:

• Centreline Start
  • Centreline Middle
  • Centreline End
  • Top Outer Diameter Start
  • Top Outer Diameter Middle
  • Top Outer Diameter End
  • Top Inner Diameter Start
  • Top Inner Diameter Middle
  • Top Inner Diameter End
  • Bottom Outer Diameter Start
  • Bottom Outer Diameter Middle
  • Bottom Outer Diameter End
  • Bottom Inner Diameter Start
  • Bottom Inner Diameter Middle
  • Bottom Inner Diameter End

On the Profile View:

• Top of Grid Start
  • Top of Grid Middle
  • Top of Grid End
  • Bottom of Grid Start
  • Bottom of Grid Middle
  • Bottom of Grid End

Also keep the "Pipe Dimension" attachment option we currently have.

30 Comments
troma
Mentor

Not sure what happened to the "labels" when I was posting that idea?

jeolmstead
Contributor

These would be very helpful, we like to label the starting and ending inverts for each pipe.  Right know we can only anchor them to the center of the pipe, so we end up just having to use leaders or a custom profile label.

troma
Mentor

Just to be clear, the references to:

On the Profile View:

• Top of Grid Start
  • Top of Grid Middle
  • Top of Grid End
  • Bottom of Grid Start
  • Bottom of Grid Middle
  • Bottom of Grid End

refer to the start, middle and end of the pipe (at the top and bottom of the grid) not the start, middle or end of the Profile View.

troma
Mentor
BlackBox_
Advisor

1+

_Really_ wish this was available, as I now have to create a redundant Pipe Lable Style for each-and-every-single pipe size I need labelled the same... If not also each-and-every-single pipe material, since Catalog editing is a kludge... I cannot beleive that this isn't possible yet, after all of the years that Civil 3D's been around. Grrr

Nothing ticks me off more than duplication of work for something that should have been obvious from the outset.

rkmcswain
Mentor
Does anyone know if this is in C3D 2018, so I don't have to install it to look?

This blog post suggests that this feature was added in C3D 2016, and even includes a graphic with a dragged state label, pointing to the TOP of pipe, instead of the centerline

teaseus.png

But then in the comments, it's revealed that it does not work. Makes me think the graphic was taken from a preview guide and that this feature was added but then pulled back out before released? Thoughts?  @BlackBox_

BlackBox_
Advisor

@rkmcswain - This does not seem to be working for me in Civil 3D 2018.1

Here's a few screenshots, the first has the style settings obtained from the blog post, and a sample crossing Pipe Label in dragged state. Prior to dragging the Label, it's way off to the left side, not touching the 'top inner diameter,' and rotated 90 degrees (read bottom to top), even though the Label settings have no Rotation Angle applied.

The second is the same Pipe Label applied to a non-crossing Pipe - note that the grip is still at center, but the 'text' appears to be at the 'top inner diameter' - however, once the Label is dragged as shown in the third image, it clearly doesn't behave as expected.

As far as this feature being implemented is concerned... Nothing has changed but the date. 

Cheers

2017-11-21_15-01-02.png2017-11-21_15-18-42.png2017-11-21_15-19-16.png

rkmcswain
Mentor
Wish I had known this on Friday, as I was sitting at a table with Peter Funk and Dave Simeone.  Smiley Frustrated
BlackBox_
Advisor

Had you asked me, you would have. Haha Smiley Very Happy

kssnuggle
Advisor

I would highly suggest that you have your designers communicate more with

actual civil engineers and cad operators.  This would have eliminated many of the problems that the

software currently has.  Including the problem in this thread. 

Curtis_Dyer
Participant

I just want to add (here in Oct 2019, using Civil 3D 2020), this is a necessity and anyone of us actually working on pipe networks, knows this is a serious flaw in pipe labeling (plan AND profile).

It makes it hard to sell to others the effectiveness of Civil 3D when little things like this continue to be an issue.

(Serious productivity killer...and defeats the purpose of using "Labels")

How is this not available after 15 years!?

rkmcswain
Mentor

How is this not available after 15 years!?

Either the decision makers don't know about it, or someone made the decision that this is not important enough to implement or it's in the pipeline and hasn't been done yet.

C_William_Lee
Advocate

I can see that nothing is being done to fix this.  Autodesk can be a gaggle of buffoons when it comes to Civil 3D. I think that they see Civil 3D customers as nothing more than a cash cow to support their other products.

TimYarris
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

@troma and @BlackBox_  -- I found this old idea and am hoping you can confirm if the requirement has been satisfied. Here's what I see in 2022. If it's still missing something, would you please let me know?

TimYarris_0-1627651637575.png

BlackBox_
Advisor

Hi @TimYarris -

I can confirm that the dragged state Label's leader is now honoring the Anchor Point setting when using 2022 (see image).

Thanks for revisiting this, so we knew this was available! 

Cheers

2021-07-30_11-50-14.png

C_William_Lee
Advocate

@BlackBox_ 

Thanks for the reply.  Any Ideas why it's not working on my Civil  3d 2022?

WilliamLee_1-1627922723116.png

troma
Mentor

Thanks for posting this @TimYarris , it looks good.

I don't have the newest version, so I can't test right now.

Are there attachment points on the profile view itself, at the start, mid and end of the pipe?

TimYarris
Autodesk

@troma , as of now the anchor points shown in my screenshot are available on the pipe. As of now we don't have profile view grid anchors for this case. I don't think it's possible to have one type of object label (pipe) anchor to a component of another object (profile view). I've checked a bunch of profile/section view labels and don't see other examples of this. 

C_William_Lee
Advocate

@TimYarris All I want is to be able to attach the pipe label to the outside edge of the pipe in profile view.  It's obvious from my screen shot that it's not working for me.  I submitted a support case two weeks ago.   I referenced this thread where people claim that it should be a working feature in civil 3D. I have heard nothing from Autodesk's illustrious support team.  Who sad anything about view grid anchors?  I'm quite frustrated that Autodesk can't eve take the time to send me an email after TWO WEEKS.  When you consider the money our company pays for this software each year you think we might get some attention aside from the day the fee is due.

troma
Mentor

@TimYarris here is where my suggestion came from:

I don't know the meaning or purpose of the "Pipe Dimension" attachment option.

Currently working in C3d 2019 and we use the similar "Structure Dimension" to put some structure labels at the bottom of the profile view. I've seen posts from others using it to push labels to the top of the profile view.

The weird thing about this "Dimension" is that it is set for the whole drawing. I can't put some labels at the top and others at the bottom in the same profile view. My suggestion is to replace the "Dimension" option with new attachment points for the label at the top and bottom of the grid.

But, since I don't know the meaning or purpose of the "Pipe Dimension" attachment option, I didn't ask that it be removed. Someone might have a use for it that I don't understand.

You may be right, that there are no other examples of a similar label. I just wrote it down because I thought it's a useful idea.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report