Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset Profiles - Multiple things needed to make them useful

Offset Profiles - Multiple things needed to make them useful

I just tried out the offset profiles and it was VERY exciting to have a dynamic profile that reflects the offset alignment and its widening characteristics! HOWEVER, it is largely useless for plan production IMO and needs the following.

1. When setting the offset profile parameters, allow for y=mx+b ..... that is, when I calc the TC elevation from my centerline, TC elevation = (CL elevation) - (the crossfall of the street)*(width of pavement) + (curb height 6" or 8" typical). Currently, the formula for setting the offset profile only accounts for crossfall

2. Profile labels - When creating TC profiles, we need to show grades, vertical curve data, etc. just as with the CL profile. Currently, we can only show major station labels when we project it to the CL profile view.

3. Edit the offset profile - As with all things Civil 3D, the program can get the design  90% there and then the engineer has to muscle the program into completing the last 10%. in the case of an offset profile, the design may be 90% complete, but the engineer will probably need to "fix" a couple of areas.....eg with curb extensions/bulbouts we often have problems where the flowline has an unintended low point due the horizontal and vertical design varying at the same time. A uniform 2% crossfall is rarely a good design. with the offset profile, it would be great if there was some way to maintain a dynamic connection for the majority of the profile and then pick a station range where the designer can manually edit certain areas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report