Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object Layer "By Style"

Object Layer "By Style"

Please add a "By Style" option for all objects in the 'Object Layers' list.

I don't understand why I'd need a global layer setting for all objects, when each object also has a layer assigned in its style.

I would love my alignments, pipes, structures, profiles, etc., and all labels to use the layer specified in the style. I don't want all my pipes on one layer, I want them all on different layers as proposed vs existing, storm vs sanitary etc. Using the layer specified in the pipe style would solve this. Similarly for all objects and their labels.

After an object or label is created, I'd like to still be able to put it on a different layer of my choice. But this would be the rare exception rather than the rule. If I select an object and put it on a different style, I'd like the object layer to be updated to match.

I realize that some objects have many layers specified (TIN surfaces come to mind). For these, an additional setting could be added in the style for "Object Layer".

7 Comments
troma
Mentor

I posted about this previously, but I thought it different enough to deserve its own idea rather than just a comment.

Why not just put the object on Layer 0?

Having the object on the same layer as used in the style doesn't give you anything more control. If you turn off the layer set in the style, then object turns off. If you explode the object, then the elements are put on to the layer specified in the style.

In addition, what would you expect to happen if the layer inside the style was changed? Should the object move to the new layer?

Regards,

Peter Funk
Sr Product Manager
Civil 3D
Autodesk, Inc.

troma
Mentor

Yes, it would give me more control.

Specifically, I could use commands like LAYMCUR, LAYISO, LAYFRZ, LAYOFF on any object, and it would actually obey them.

It is one of the items that causes constant eye-rolling in this office:

"Sure you can freeze that layer off, but not by clicking on it. Sorry, no you have to go digging in the layer list to do it. And if you don't remember what layer it is, you have to open up the style box first to find out."

I've actually started putting objects on their respective layers (after creating them) to make these commands work for me.

what would you expect to happen if the layer inside the style was changed?

Yes, I think moving the object to the new layer would be good.

If possible, the best thing would be to only move it to the new layer if it is currently on the old layer. If I have changed it onto a different layer for some reason, then leave it alone.

On the other hand, if it's not possible to change the object layer when the style is updated it wouldn't be a huge problem. Our template is pretty much set, and we don't go around editing our styles too much. Having the objects created on the right layer in the first place would be tremendous.

Thanks.

Then shouldn't the request be for all the layer commands that work by picking objects work on the sub entities in Civil 3D objects?

Regards,

Peter Funk
Sr Product Manager
Civil 3D
Autodesk, Inc.

troma
Mentor

Sure. I guess so. Just thought this made sense.

But let's try that and see if it gets more traction.

troma
Mentor
mroflam
Contributor

Yes, we 100% need something like this. Its easy to make cogo points behave in this manor, but the countless entities that require a "style" (alignments, sample lines, corridors as examples), it just drives me nuts. The alignment is one one layer (typically 0), and yet its not on layer 0, isolate layer 0 it disappears, because its working like a nested block, all the junk inside these things are on different layers. And the only way Im aware of figuring it out is I have to go open up layer styles all the time, just to figure out what layers I have to freeze in certain viewports (or wherever else)... And some of these style dependent entities, like corridors, have a lot of **** layers.... Its really pretty maddening, and very counter productive. 

If anyone has a suggestion on an easier way to isolate, freeze, turn off layers in style dependent entities please share... I have looked before and found nothing... Had a lot of it the past couple of days and looking again. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report