Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label All XREF Objects?

Label All XREF Objects?

I can label XREF Parcels.

I can label XREF Pipes and Structures (aka Parts) without incident... And since DREF Null Structures do not retain their Source Style assignments, I am relegated to either XREF, or duplicating work (so XREF wins)... So why not _any_ other Object?

Another example, is an XREF Alignment, which I can label... Sort of.

I can use Station Offset labels with Profile reference component to show Profile Grade, but I cannot label a Segment with Profile reference component, and select the XREF Profile directly... I have to select another Profile (or <none>), and then go back and manually select the XREF Profile from the Properties Pane, which is also just dumb.

Users should be able to label any, and all Civil 3D Objects in the active document, or its XREFs, and those labels should not 'go away' because a layer is Frozen.

Separately, whoever came up with the idiocy that allows labels to remain when a layer is Off, but not Frozen, deserves a kick in the... I'll say 'Pants'. Grrr

4 Comments
BlackBox_
Advisor

Apologies for the bit about XREF Surfaces (post above edited) - apparently an AUDIT resolved that. Smiley Embarassed Haha

BlackBox_
Advisor

Spoke too soon -

When labeling an XREF Surface spot elevation, the Surface does not show in the 'select from list' dialog... I have to manually select the Surface, or label another Surface that is listed, and then manually change the Surface reference in Properties Pane.

BlackBox_
Advisor

Another instance where this functionality is completely missing....

As noted above, I can label all Pipes and Structures for an XREF Pipe Network, but am unable to create a Structure Table for XREF Structures?!

Separately, whoever wrote the code for the selection procedure that precludes users from selecting Structures on locked layers... Well, I'll just say that I'm not a fan... You need only 'read' (OpenMode.ForRead) in order to cull the Structure's data. Grrr

*IF* you do need to 'write' (Upgrade.Open() anyone?) data to the Structure, for 'dynamic' event handlers to keep said table up-to-date... You can still get the Structure's LayerId, unlock that LayerTableRecord, and restore the layer lock in your Finally block (as in Try, Catch, Finally).

We laymen developers like to refer to  ^^ this ^^  as 'proper error handling'. Haha

BlackBox_
Advisor

This came up again today....

>> I can use Station Offset labels with Profile reference component to show Profile Grade, but I cannot label a Segment with Profile reference component, and select the XREF Profile directly... I have to select another Profile (or <none>), and then go back and manually select the XREF Profile from the Properties Pane....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report