Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS-Like Technology to Layout Utilities (waterline especially)

GPS-Like Technology to Layout Utilities (waterline especially)

Seems like Autodesk could use the shortest-route-like-gps techology to automate most efficient horizontal layout for waterlines (say in streets)...holding min/max offsets from curb/right-of-way, etc, maximizing pipe lengths and using appropriate angles (5-degree, 11.25, 22.5, 45, 90).  Same with sewer I suppose. Just a thought.

7 Comments
scaldwell73
Enthusiast

We often lay out lines offset from the edge of pavement so this would be pretty handy.

DMFACER
Advocate

Wish this already existed!

Khaled_Bahnasy
Contributor

It is very complicated as each utility has it's own service corridor according to specs 

for example water line , according to each pipe diam, fittings, valves and chambers on the line the offset distance differ but it is a great idea to start working on

asabat
Contributor

This is very similar to what BuildingSP does with their product, GenMEP, that generates automatic duct runs, etc. in Revit. I think this could be possible for sure with each different material assigned to a different specification as always, minimum clearances, assumed fixed points of design, assumed bury depths by utility and frost depth. Could integrate with dynamo or other generative design software to iterate 5 or so potential "paths" or "routes" that fit these certain criteria. 

RobertMansson
Advocate

Great idea, I'v had similar thoughts. As asabat mentioned, this seems like it should be done with Dynamo (regenerative design).

brianchapmandesign
Collaborator

Methods to find paths/clashes have been around for quite a while. My thought is this would essentially be exactly like the lines drawn when asking for directions on google maps, except at angle points, curves, and bends it would draw those at proper angles or acceptable pipe deflections (1-degree, 11.25 degrees, 22.5, 45, 90, etc).

ADAC3D
Explorer

yes, great idea

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report