Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Featureline: relative slope between vertices and elevation points.

Featureline: relative slope between vertices and elevation points.

Often we need to maintain a specific slope between select vertices in a featureline. For example we may need a series of upstation vertices to be xx percent slope from the current vertex, regardless of it's elevation. We currently have the ability to force vertices to adopt a surface elevation. It would also be very useful if we could force a vertex to adopt a relative slope either from a previous or next vertex.

4 Comments
BlackBox_
Advisor
Neilw_05
Mentor

Not quite. I was think about locking the Slope Back or Slope Ahead values between vertices. Then they would maintain their relative slopes when the vertices get stretched or moved or if the elevation at one end gets changed.

BlackBox_
Advisor

>> Not quite. I was think about locking the Slope Back or Slope Ahead values between vertices. Then they would maintain their relative slopes when the vertices get stretched or moved or if the elevation at one end gets changed.

That's precisely what I demonstrated, albeit in the context of Residential/Subdivision grading, but I feel there are multiple applications for this. 

In the sample linked above, I’m using Civil 3D’s native relative elevation from surface to set the 'front lot corner' (first FeatureLine PI, Sta 0+00) elevation and applying a pseudo-named ‘Lot Line Rule’ to control the Grade Ahead/Back dynamically, as the 'front lot corner' (FeatureLine Sta 0+00) changes. 

Same applies to grip stretching a PI, the pseudo-named 'Lot Line Rule' dynamically updates the FeatureLine's PI elevations, based on the slopes assigned to the rule.

The naming can obviously be changed to something more generic, like 'Feature Rules', etc... Again, I just developed this whole thing last Friday, so it's merely the first draft of a larger concept. Haha

Cheers

Neilw_05
Mentor

I don't understand. Where are you getting the "Lot Line Rules" and how are they applied to the featureline properties? Is this a custom tool you are developing?

Could you demonstrate moving the FL grips around so we can see how the slopes and elevations respond?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report