Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direction arrow in labels

Direction arrow in labels

In various labels styles it's possible to add an 'direction arrow', so it suggests the arrow is pointing into a specific direction.

But when I use this arrows the direction which it is pointing to is not always to the low side or the high side of the labeled object.

The arrows like to point at random to the high or the low side of the label. I would like it very much if you can at least make the choice if it points to the high side or to the low side of the labeled object's.

For example, I like to preview the grade of an existing road, so I have GPS measurements of the side's of the road in two 3D polylines.

To compare the difference at specific point's I make a 'line between two points' label. This label creates an arrow and a grade text, but the arrow doesn't point to the low side of the road but it follows my pick direction, from the point I pick first to the point I picked second.

Label arrow direction.jpg

6 Comments
jeffl
Advocate

I used to have the same issue, but someone suggested I add an expression to the label, try this for a surface

Create an expression called "Direction Arrow" as follows;

Expression.jpg

Label.jpg

Then in the rotation angle line for the label, add the expression name.

This works for me.

joantopo
Mentor

This was the same idea:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideas/improve-addsurfaceslopelabel/idi-p/5599728

And I think there are more posts related to your idea.

AllenJessup
Mentor

Set your rotation angle to Grade Check.

GradeCheck.PNG

jeffl
Advocate

Allen,

Is that Grade Check an expression or is this a custom label style?  I don't have that as an option in my version of C3D 2017.

AllenJessup
Mentor

It looks like it has to be an Expression,

IF({General Segment Grade}<=0,0,pi) .

I looked up an old thread where I had read it should be OOTB. But I checked in 2017 and don't see it. Sorry about the confusion.

So I'll vote to have it included OOTB

joantopo
Mentor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report