Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Designing a Profile: Allow vertical curve to vertical curve

Designing a Profile: Allow vertical curve to vertical curve

When creating a design profile, I had need to go from one VC directly into another (with no tangent between).

But C3D insisted that I include a tangent between them -- I ended up showing a tangent that was a tenth of a foot long. 

I understand that when calculating a VC, it needs an entrance grade and an exit grade.

So make the entrance grade of the second VC the same as the exit grade of the first VC.  I don't see how that would be so difficult.  This would be similar to a revserse curve or compound curve in a horizontal alignment but done in a profile instead.

3 Comments

Sadly I don't think Autodesk will consider this a valid request since you can already create two VC without the tangent by using the Floating Vertical Curve option. It works similar to the alignments Floating Curves.

I do agree that Civil 3D should allow for VC that end at the same location without a small tangent when using PVIs to design by and Free Vertical Curves.

peter_thomson
Advocate

yes, I agree.  I also have asked this question through our support channel and it was a no-go based on Chris's comment above.

jeffl
Advocate

Whenever I need to have back to back curves, I just set the length of the second one to something like XX.999999m.  It rounds the length to "be correct" and the BVC/EVC labels overlap cleanly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report