Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Clip Boundary - Allow existing data to be clipped from a surface

Data Clip Boundary - Allow existing data to be clipped from a surface

Allow the option for the Data Clip boundary to remove data that is already in a surface, and not limited to just the data that is added after applying the Data Clip.

5 Comments

If you move the data clip boundary up in the operation list it will remove data already in a surface.

I made a surface from points and added a dataclip to the middle of the surface. I then added a breakline that crossed the data clip boundary, and only the breakline points inside (and intersecting the boundary) were  included. I then moved the Add boundary operation to the top of my operation list, rebuilt the surface and only the points and breakline inside of the boundary were added to the surface.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

fcernst
Mentor

Thanks Peter. So, it's really just a build order issue?

I am looking to use this on these large XML files we need to deal with. I had to turn off "Create Snapshot", then I think it worked.

Does that make sense though?

Capture.PNG

Fred,

I think so. Moving the clip up and down the stack worked for me with the points and breaklines. I didn't try it on an XML with a surface.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

fcernst
Mentor

This is interesting..

So, you moved yours to the bottom to get the Data Clip to work on the existing points and breaklines...

I had to move mine to the top and turn off the Snapshot. When I rebuilt the surface, Civil 3D had to re-import the XML, thus allowing the data clip at the top of the operations a chance to work on the data.

When initially importing XML files in Civil 3D, there is no chance to apply a Data Clip like we do with DEM files for example. You can't add XML to an existing surface.

Here is an idea to make this overall easier, less easy to forget the steps, and more productive for Users:

Request:

Offer a Right-Click command on the Data Clip boundary item in the Prospector tree called "Apply Now"

Capture.PNG

I fixed my post. I moved the operation to the TOP of the list. It will then apply to all import operations after it.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report