Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor Baseline - Feature Line Control

Corridor Baseline - Feature Line Control

Allow a feature line to be used as a Baseline for simultaneous horizontal and vertical control.

16 Comments
troma
Mentor

Building a corridor from a featureline would be great!

It would just about remove any need for gradings all together, right?

dsimeone
Autodesk

Hi Fred - I would like to make sure that we are clear on the request. Is it for a user to be able to use a Feature Line as the baseline in a corridor (rather than Alignment/profile)?  From there you have a standard Corridor with all of it's same capabilities.

Cheers

Dave Simeone

fcernst
Mentor

Hi Dave,

"Is it for a user to be able to use a Feature Line as the baseline in a corridor (rather than Alignment/profile)? "

Correct. We want to be able to quickly leverage Corridors more efectively into our site grading work.

"From there you have a standard Corridor with all of it's same capabilities."

Correct...

If you want to eventually add Interior Corner cleanup,  and then the ability to cleanup when intersecting Corridor Links with another Corridor, that would be great.

Regards

Fred

arturopolanco
Mentor

Some softwares, export the alignment and profile as one polyline 3D

C3D_TomR
Collaborator

Yes, Dave, an example workflow I envision is to create feature lines around parking islands and assign elevations to them. Now instead of a grading group with three offset/slopes to create gutter, top at face, and top at back of curb, I could assign a curb assembly to that feature line. Now there's talk of this being considered a "curb object" but the result would be the same. If I created a profile across the parking island I want to see something similar to a section view of a corridor.

That example is just to clarify how and where I might use this request in my workflow and to discuss if it's really applying an assembly to a grading line that we want or if it's an "object" that we want to attach to a feature line.

fcernst
Mentor

The idea is to get the ability to use the plethora of Feature Line edit tools for Corridor Baseline control for site grading. These tools are quick and efficient… They greatly reduce design fatigue versus setting up and managing Alignments and Profiles for Corridors.

dsimeone
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We are tracking items related to using a Feature Line as the baseline for a corridor in Portfolio Feature PF2227.

joantopo
Mentor

create a grading from a baseline (aligment and profile), if we haven´t got a featureline or we don´t want to create an intermediate featureline.

Status changed to: Future Consideration

Status changed to: Accepted

b.stark
Advocate

I would like the ability to constrain feature lines just like you can constrain other normal autocad objects to each other. As an example: I have laid feature lines over all of the curbing on a commercial site. The site has now changed or I am adjusting my grading design of the tbc. I would like the corresponding flowline and gutter lip feature lines that I have already drawn to move vertically and horizontally as I adjust the tbc design. Similar to using grading objects except these actually work like I want and have perfect corners and you can add/remove PI's and elevation points and dont cause the drawing to crash.

Tags (4)
troma
Mentor

Would you like to constrain a featureline to other objects? For example, you may want to keep a featureline colinear with a polyline, so they share exact x,y coordinates (but different z coordinates).

If this is just about locking featurelines to other featurelines, I suggest it is similar to the Featureline Sets idea, and may eventually be solved by the Corridor Baseline - Feature Line Control idea, which has actually been accepted.

b.stark
Advocate

Using the feature line as the corridor would work great. It eliminates the need to manage and alignment and profile to work on the corridor. As long as the corner issue is fixed.

Status changed to: Gathering Support

This is very similar to the other two items as "troma" has pointed out.

Regards,

Peter Funk
Sr Product Manager
Civil 3D
Autodesk, Inc.

joantopo
Mentor
Status changed to: Implemented

One of the features of Civil 3D 2017 is the ability to use a Feature line as a corridor baseline.

Cheers,

Peter Funk
Sr Product Manager
Civil 3D
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report